We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

5.8.20

Memories, like ghosts, appear at night


The cats prowl and purr – each 
uniquely loving, funny, proud.… 
Every man, too, who entered my life and left 
returns, with many details…. 
I smile and I weep.

Memories, like ghosts, appear at night.

My children – always the surest path
to joy and heartbreak – arrive at various ages. 
They are middle-aged: friends or strangers….
They are infants, running and laughing.… 
I weep, and I smile.


['On Joy and Sorrow'  Kahlil Gibran:  I say unto you, they are inseparable.]


Written for Weekly Scribblings #31: What Makes You Smile? at Poets and Storytellers United, using the 'elevensies' form where the title appears as the middle line (invented by Kit Kelen in conversation with Kerri Shying, who has used it extensively. See detailed notes here.). 

19 comments:

  1. Nice one

    Happy Wednesday

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s such a coincidence, Rosemary – I know your poem is about memories, but I’ve almost finished a story about a ghost cat, and a series of other ghosts, who move in with a lonely widow. Not a scary one, but a ghost story to make people smile. You know I love poems with cats in them. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kim, that's a story I definitely want to read!

      Delete
  3. This is incredibly poignant, Rosemary! ❤️ Indeed, joy and sorrow are two sides of the same coin. I love how seamlessly the title is incorporated into the poem. You have done a beautiful job executing the Elevensies form. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say magic always comes with a cost, and I would definitely consider love to be one of the most magical things there is. But I'll pay it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosemary. I have a silar feeling for the ladies in my life. One in particular I would really really like to know how she is doing, but I have not even a hint to know how or where to start. You told the situation so nicely.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. Meanwhile, I trust your memories are more happy than sad.

      Delete
  6. Yes, there is always that yearning to see our children or family again because they are part of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tears mixed with smiles...that's life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All wonderful reasons for smiles, followed by weeping.
    Sometimes they go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm doing a lot of that. Grieving and honoring the past. A haunting.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!