We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

26.1.21

If I knew then what I know now …

 If I knew then what I know now …


I’d take better care of my body,

so it would take care of me now that I’m old.

I would never start smoking, never eat sweets;

I’d exercise daily and strenuously.

I’d get enough sleep, the full eight hours:

going to bed before 10 every night, I promise.


Or would I? Because really, I did know. 

We all really know the simple rules of health.

But we think we can cheat –

only a tiny bit, just for now.

We don’t understand we’re building habits.

Bad habits. Lifelong habits.


The sweeties tasted so good 

on the tongue and in the mouth.

And the cigarettes stopped me

from putting on weight.

(Too bad about other effects! I quit

in time to miss cancer; not emphysema.)


Least possible exercise, intermittent,

can soon slide into almost none. And 

anyway, it’s much too early for bed. 

There are poems to write. There’s Netflix.

There are friends to visit on facebook.

And I must get a late-night snack….




The title is Magaly's prompt for Weekly Scribblings #54 at Poets and Storytellers United.


13 comments:

  1. I echo exactly your first verses, Rosemary. My dad lived a much cleaner life than I have and he lived to be 97 before he died. I have lived enough that I wouldn't complain but I love living and hope to have "many more" as the BDay wishes proclaim. It is encouraging though when someone gets my age from me and immediately comment, you don't seem that old. Ha. I enjoyed your poem, and have also adopted your bottom stanza as well, except that I don't take Netflix. Mrs. Jim has it on her iPhone though, as a member of our larger family.
    I had a blogging friend, Merle, in Aus, both of us were racing to be OBE, Over Bloody Eighty. She died a few months before she reached that age, I believe I was a few months older than she. I just tried her site and I has been hacked, my Norton says I can't go there anymore. I'll check later, her Facebook was also still up.
    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a poem I can relate to, Rosemary, and I can hear myself saying these words. I’m still cheating a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been lucky to have my dad as a role model for health. He has kept really active his whole life (it was a big deal when he stopped playing recreational soccer--it took a lot to admit it wasn't a terrific idea to keep playing with guys half his age when he kept getting injured). I'm not as disciplined as he is, but I do hit my 30 min - 5 times a week goal of activity, even in winter. I want to have his energy (and my mom's sheer stubbornness to get things done) when I get to be that age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah...Yes to all of the above, except maybe the sleep thingy which, as long as I can remember, has eluded me so I've now convinced myself I don't need it anyway. Gave up the ciggies 6 years ago next month (after 50 years, without too many negative effects, I think). Snacker. Screen-obsession remains... Yep, we be siblings.
    Great write, Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you...I'll give up the sweets...soon...and hit the gym...tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to this too...now that I have read this I AM FOREGOING my Late night snack (oh maybe tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dang, let's just go have some fudge!! (You speak for me, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "I promise" at the end of the first stanza made me burst into laughter. I wonder how many of us has said the same thing to ourselves. And you are so right about the rest, we totally know what we are doing. But the doings are just so yummy while we are doing them... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your candor .... and your magic way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "We all really know the simple rules of health.

    But we think we can cheat"

    sooo true

    Happy Wednesday

    (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all hope to miss the loaded chamber in the Russian Roulette of life and its gambles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this truth, Rosemary. I would still pretty much live
    my life as I have. When Mom was not supposed to eat
    potato chips (her favorite) anymore, she'd say, "So,
    I'll live four months less." She made it to 91.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!