We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

5.5.22

The Violin Leaves

In a sudden flurry of autumn wind

the whirling leaves fell, spiralling, 

scattering on frosty ground.


Look!  said the seven-year-old,

poring over their indented shapes:

They are tiny violins. 


















Back story:


When I was seven I wrote my first poem. It was:


The violin leaves blow round and round,

The violin leaves scatter the ground.


(Everyone  back then was starting each line of a poem with a capital letter.)


I was far too young to have any intellectual concept of metaphor.  My Dad, who did, was very excited when I explained ‘violin leaves’ – but because I had to explain, I thought that most people wouldn’t understand my poem, so I changed the wording to ‘autumn leaves’. 


Then – at a time when the Western world at large still had little idea of micropoetry – I thought it was a bit short and inconclusive. (Probably the word ‘inconclusive’ wasn’t yet in my vocabulary, but I had the sense of it.)  So I added two more lines, did a bit of rearranging, and wound up with


The autumn leaves 

Whirl round and round,

The autumn leaves
Scatter the ground.

Then Jack Frost comes out

And throws snow all about.


Yes – the revision lost all originality! Not to mention that we didn’t get snow on the ground in the town where I lived, only up on the surrounding mountains – though we did get frost. People still thought it was very clever for a seven-year-old. And so it remained until this day – my sweet, cute, childish, very first poem.

 

Then Magaly, at Poets and Storytellers United, invited us to 'take a poem or story we wrote many years ago (preferably, one that wasn't exactly awesome), and rewrite it'. 

OMG, looking through old, failed pieces in my ‘Drafts for Reworking’ folder was demoralising! I deleted a few, put others back into the ‘Too Hard Now But Maybe Some Day’ basket … and eventually remembered this poem. Could I turn it into something more adult, to appeal to other adults? 


At first I thought of a haiku. Having recorded the experience – in my very first poem, moreover – I could vividly recapture the scene in memory. I would have to lose the rhyme, and of course the metaphor, neither of which belongs in a haiku. And it’s true that ‘violin leaves’ is not obvious enough to be understood without explanation – leaves come in many different shapes. It would be good to put that idea back in the poem, though. But even similes are rare in haiku. 


So I decided to try a tanka, which allows for more options. Many drafts later, some of them very pretty, the violin shape was still difficult to clarify without resorting to prose! (It might help if I knew what kind of tree the leaves came from, but that detail has been lost, and Google didn't find me anything that fits the image I recall. My quick outline sketch comes closer.)


My eventual solution, as you see above, was to acknowledge what is actually true now; instead of trying to recreate the experience, to step back, place it in the past, and describe it from this vantage-point, looking on (or in!) at the little girl I used to be. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~


To see what others have shared, see Poets and Storytellers United's Friday Writings #25.






37 comments:

  1. Oh just beautiful Very clever of you as 7 year old to come up with violin leaves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it must be fun and thrilling to back to poetics that far.
    I don't remember if or what i wrote at that age.
    I do remembet though, my paper doll phase 😊

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I had a paper doll phase too! (I guess a lot of us did.)

      Delete
  3. Love how you've described this whole process. I often wonder about poems that come from personal experiences and specific backstories that "other people" can't understand without explicit notes (I've written a few).. or without expanding the poem till it no longer is how it was first imagined. Should a poem be "made for all readers to understand", or just for the poet, leaving readers to either interpret it in their own way or not at all. Wish I knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there's a 'should'. I think we have the right to make up our own minds about own poems, and might decide one way for one piece, differently for another. But decisions have consequences; e.g. if we decide not to explain something away, we have no right to complain if not everyone gets it.

      Delete
    2. I think you're right that one might decide differently depending on the poem and the backstory! I haven't posted several poems over the years because they were too context-specific, but maybe I will try and do that sometime! Thanks Rosemary.

      Delete
  4. your seven year old self and your present self are both skilled poets ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precise and delicately beautiful, Rosemary - the sheer joy of seeing the world fresh and anew through young eyes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment! (But I don't know who made it. ???)

      Delete
    2. Oh, hi Scott! Just had a look at the comments over at P&SU and realised this is you. I do hope you get the technical glitches sorted out fast!

      Delete
  6. I love the story behind this playful piece. It seems you had a way with words right from the start. That wasn't bad at all for seven! I think it was sweet and clever. My first attempts were maudlin scribblings about some classmate that made pop music sound like Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This, my beloved Rosemary, is glorious from beginning to end. I love the rewrite, and was extremely impressed by the original and the process that took you to the final piece.

    When I read the word "demoralising", in your notes, I cackled. It was exactly how I felt about my first poem. I ended up choosing a different one, but one of these days... we might need a prompt that asks for the rewriting of pieces with originals we are almost to horrified to share. 😅

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to comment but my computer has been driving me crazy with its ridiculousness. I'll try once again. I love your young self's way of seeing things. Violin leaves are terrific and much more specific than autumn leaves. You've kept that special 'seeing' alive in your work all these years, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi, thanks for keeping on trying. My comments are moderated, and I was out for some hours today, so have only just seen all your attempts. (It wasn't your computer's fault!) In a couple of the other attempts you suggested I must think metaphorically – an interesting idea! I wonder if I do? I'll have to take more notice of my own thought processes, to find out.

      Delete
  9. How precious is this? I adore it and I will always think of those leaves as violins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that warms the heart of my inner seven-year-old! Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Also please see my reply to Susieee, below.

      Delete
  10. Great story to go with the various stages of the poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It seemed to me to be a legitimate part of this prompt. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  11. Children and poets see things that no one else sees: leaves as violins!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I wrote any poetry at age 7. :)
    I like what you say about the process of rewriting the poem, looking in as someone else at a seven-year old girl marveling at falling leaves.
    You wrote some pretty impressive work as a seven-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum always said I started at age 3. But if so, I strongly doubt that I was WRITING them. This is the first one I wrote down, and the first one I remember creating.

      Delete
  13. I very much love your original poem written by your sage of a seven-year old. For me, it says it all and those kinds of leaves will forever be violin leaves, thank you very much. Your revision is a perfect compromise of adult and child. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's lovely to think you will always see those leaves that way now. You have just given me such a gift – that, with my first poem, I have achieved what every poet dreams of!

      Delete
  14. They are violins - amazing point of view!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is priceless poetry and backstory! I wish, how I wish, I had kept poems I wrote in my 20s. As I read, I kept thinking of the "fiddle-leaf fig" and could not stop smiling. You are special, Ms. Rosemary Nissen-Wade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Helen!

      Google showed me pics of the fiddle-leaf fig leaves, but they didn't look like what I am remembering.

      Delete
  16. Seven years old! Amazing to see violin leaves. I love this, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always told I had a vivid imagination. I'm glad you love it!

      Delete
  17. A curious and astute observation! I really like this

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!