We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

1.7.22

Writing the Prison

(After Anne Sexton: 'Ringing the Bells')

And this is the way we go
to work in prison
and this is the gate where we stand
still for the metal-detector and open our bags
and open the books in our bags,
and these are the writers in prison
who wait for Friday,
two hours a week that feel like freedom;
and because we are working in poetry
and because that’s another country,
an open space outside what is known,
we are the circle of laughing poets
who lounge in the plastic chairs in the Education shed
and smile at the baffled officers
who watch but leave us alone,
who watch us escape
the gates and doors with locks;
and these are the bluestone blocks we pass
on the way into the prison
guarded by guns as if it were true
we are not free, we are not free;
and these are the tunnels we walk on Tuesday
in maximum security,
cages that whisper open electronically,
whisper open electronically and whisper closed;
and this is how the poetry shouts,
as outspoken and bold
as a fearless child,
and this is always my freedom responding
to the words that respond to the prison
where poets write and are free
two hours a week, on Tuesday or Friday,
when the door in the wall cracks open
and lets me in, and we meet;
and although I may work and go
out again through the tunnels and gates and locks,
I am the one who will never
escape the prison.


Written in 1987
First published
 La Mama Poetica anthology (Melb. University Press 1989)
Also in Walking the Dogs (Pariah Press anthology, 1994)
Included in the author's Secret Leopard: New and Selected Poems 1974-2005 (Paris, Alyscamps Press, 2005).

Sharing now with Poets and Storytellers United for Friday Writings #34, where we are invited to write a piece including one or all of several words, including 'freedom'. I'm taking the liberty of choosing this piece, written long ago, not only because it is so much about freedom, but also because it directly relates to the memoir I've recently been sharing with P&SU. 



23 comments:

  1. I am glad they can write as they please. Or can they? I feel we in Texas censor what is written and the wrong thing will result in loss of even more freedoms. It is good that you teach in prisons, I have a friend who did also. Some begin writing to get the free time and I'm sure many will turn into poetry as a hobby. Here we have degree programs that can be worked on, and some finish even, to get as degree.
    Jim,
    jimmiehov6.blogspot.com
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do it now, dear Jim. This was decades ago. But, as the poem says, it has stayed with me.

      Delete
    2. PS Yes, when it came to poetry, they could write uncensored.

      Delete
  2. cages that whisper open electronically,
    whisper open electronically and whisper closed;
    and this is how the poetry shouts, - love that.. the idea that the prison is a forever thing the mind can't escape, but poetry can shout to reach over walls... so true...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It occurs to me now to wonder if people may mistake the reference to electronics as metaphorical, meaning the poetry was shared that way. But it was before personal computers, and they were actual doors which opened and closed that way.
      My friend Ken Smeaton, a Melbourne poet who also visited the prison occasionally, was outraged at those final lines: 'You are the freest person I know! You are the embodiment of freedom!' Dear of him – but you have understood my meaning better.

      Delete
  3. and because we are working in poetry
    and because that’s another country,
    an open space outside what is known,

    this has a depth that I love....

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be part of the space that allowed freedom of the mind must have been awe inspiring. I can see why that would stay with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe-inspiring in retrospect. At the time I was too fully in it to reflect about it.

      Delete
  5. This is incredibly vivid ... I feel as though I shadowed you. See you in September, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Helen. Enjoy your summer break!

      Delete
  6. This reminds me of: “Men are freest when they are most unconscious of freedom.The shout is a rattling of chains and always was.” — D. H. Lawrence

    Some people are not free because their minds are slaves, while others minds are free even though they are physically bound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting quote; something to ponder. Your own remark reminds me of Pierre's realisation in 'War and Peace', sitting in the snow as a prisoner during Napoleon's retreat from Moscow, and laughing to understand that his thoughts remain free.

      Delete
  7. If you feel it, then it must be ... there are moments when most anyone can get a sense of being free. Conversely, there are people in prisons who never set foot in a jail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder how oppressive you will feel, walking in between those stone walls and steel cages. Yes, those two hours of poetry workshop certainly smells like freedom to those prisoners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt ... unnatural, to me. Rather than getting used to it, it felt more and more oppressive as time went on. But I at least had a whole other life Outside.

      Delete
  9. Rosemary, I am gobsmacked. This is superb! In my eyes, about as near perfect as poetry can be. I went in with you, I shared poetry. I swiveled my head in gaze. I felt the oddness, discomfort, and isolation of incarceration. And I was stunned when I finished reading this. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob for this high praise! I do think the whole prison experience gave me some of my best poetry.

      Delete
  10. "guarded by guns as if it were true
    we are not free, we are not free"

    Those two lines made me think of gun laws in the US. So many people carry them. The whole thing makes me wonder... if the more guns we get, the less freedom we will have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, that's a very different situation. But I can understand how those lines could send you off on that tangent.

      Delete
  11. This is outstanding, Rosemary. I can hear the sounds of the prison,
    and the loudness of poetry. It really must feel like another country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, even in the remembrance it feels like that.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!