We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

29.7.22

Suggesting a Theme

  

'Grey hair' he said

and tilted back his chair


mentally counting, perhaps,

the ones on his head.


How many?

And how many years in here?


And ... 'what's the scent of parsley?'

(We'd talked of Dylan Thomas earlier.


'How's it above?'

cry Dylan's drowned).


          ******


Today in the prison poetry class

the men, all young, explained


why they grin in sorrow

why they laugh through pain.


W hat's the taste of vegemite?

Is Outside real by now?


We laughed until we wept.

He grinned in his tilting chair


and suggested a theme:

grey hair.


11/9/81


I've recently been sharing memoir excerpts about conducting poetry workshops in Pentridge prison a long time ago, on behalf of the Poets Union of Australia. At Poets and Storytellers United this week, Magaly asks us, in Friday Writings #38, to share something inspired by the phrase, 'to stay creative, is to stay happy and alive'. I'm not sure that's absolutely true, but it certainly helps! While this piece was not inspired by it, the prison poetry workshops were a case in point, even if the happiness was limited. Herewith a poem I wrote in, and about, one of those workshops.

Notes on the poem:

In workshops, I often call for suggestions for a theme that we can all  write on.

Those serving long sentences were oppressed by the thought that they were growing old in there.  

In the prison, tears (they explained) would have been seen as weakness, to make one preyed upon by other prisoners.

When I read them the poem later, the one who inspired it took offence at the idea he might laugh at anyone else's pain. But I meant they would laugh at their own – outwardly at least. So I have only just now, after all  these years, changed 'laugh at' to 'laugh through', and similarly 'grin at' to 'grin in'.


20 comments:

  1. I like when you guys suggest a theme prompt. I feel you get good student participation from your class members, choosing a theme worked well. Like today's, "Stayin Alive." Right away I thought of the song as sung in the movie. "Saturday Night Fever" is still on my favorites list.
    ..
    Jim,
    jimmiehov6.blogspot.com
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a useful thing, and sparks so many different responses.

      Delete
  2. is outside real by now.... that made me think about reality and incarceration and how (no comparison to being in a prison)sometimes we lock ourselves inside our heads and feel the same way about "outside"... the poems enhance your narratives from the workshops! Glad to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I am thinking of interspersing that narrative with poems germane to it, when I get to a final draft.

      Delete
  3. Prompts are wonderful motivators and produce such differing responses, which is interesting in itself. It's hard to imagine being old when young. When thinking of youth imprisoned for bad acts that end up damaging their own health and futures, this came to mind: "If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wish I had taken better care of myself. I expected to live long, I just didn't realise I would eventually start wearing out!

      Delete
  4. The art of laughter to keep sanity alive.
    Another interesting Chapter Rosemary

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine they had to be really adept at masking any sort of weakness, which feels like another prison of its own. At least the poetry provided one really good and reliable release.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the clarity of the imagery. I can practically see the subject, the gray hair... And goodness knows that your lines did very well at sharing their despair (and, perhaps, the bit happiness and live poetry brought them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helped them to get through that despair, yes.

      Delete
  7. Helping someone through their despair is a precious gift....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way you phrased that could sound as if it was a precious gift for the giver too – and indeed it was.

      Delete
  8. To those guys, grey hair is the only thing they have when they finish their sentences, if at all. The words in the poem appears choppy, and it should be because the time in there will be uncertain, and there are still secrets to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm imagining a diverse group deciding on a theme. I picture it as more interesting than a board room of a major corporation deciding the fate of the next big "wow" product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Is outside real?" That has me thinking. Good theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some it must be very strange by the time they get there again.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!