We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

28.8.23

Night Owl

Some people love the peace,

they say, of early mornings. I

settle into myself in the hush

of deepest night, on this hilltop

in this quiet neighbourhood

of this small country town,

when the lights in all the other 

houses in the street turn off

and I’m surrounded by sleep.

I like being the only one awake

in the stillness, in which my mind

unrolls and stretches free, unimpeded

and unobserved. I own the space

in those moments and hours. The very

air becomes mine, in the beautiful silence.




No comments:

Post a Comment

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!