We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

8.8.26

Void

 

‘She’s not cold tonight,’

I think suddenly –

passing the heater where 

I would leave a blanket for her

to lie on, these winter nights.


I can’t stop myself 

from that quick glance  

checking her kitty litter

every time I pass the laundry – 

where there is no kitty litter now.


Her soft rugs

from all over the house

have been taken down 

from her perches and nests,

the hair brushed off, and washed.


I remove the covers

protecting my lounge suite 

from enthusiastic scratches.

It does look nice,

now that we can see it.


I clean and put away 

her food and water dishes,

gather left-over food supplies

to give to the vet for others …

it’s best to keep busy.




My little cat, Poppi, died of a sudden seizure, in the vet's arms, on Thursday morning – two days ago. Apparently a  brain tumour, not uncommon at her age (15) and nothing that anyone could have done. This photo , showing the covered couch, taken in April this year (2026).






Sharing with Friday Writings #241: Change at Poets and Storytellers United.





14 comments:

  1. Oh...sending hugs from afar. 🫂

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of dear Poppi's passing. It's a profound change from long-term caring to then not needing to care for a pet or a person. The void, like a wide empty shelf, gets filled in slowly over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the voice of experience! And I too have been here before – but each grief is always new and must be experienced in its own right. However, I am glad to be reminded that we don't stay in the same place forever.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for you loss. You wrote a beautiful tribute to Poppi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sad poem expressing the grief at the loss of a beloved pet Poppi. Yes keeping busy is a way of coping. Thoughts and hugs ...Rall

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to learn about the loss. As the saying goes - some pains don’t heal—and they don’t have to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sincerest condolences, R. A fine tribute. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. We lost a 16 year old cat last year and the other 15 year old cat is starting to slow down and struggle a bit more now too. It definitely takes a bit of time to adjust.

    A well-penned tribute Rosemary 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, my late husband and I had two cats, a brother and sister, from kittenhood into old age; definitely our fur babies. (We married late in life and our human children from previous spouses were adults by then.) Freya and Levi outlived Andrew, to be 14 and 15 respectively. Levi became vey clingy indeed when there were only the two of us left from our little family.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!