We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

8.9.26

Around Wollumbin

[Two for the price of one; see note.]


I live on an ancient shield volcano 

deemed extinct, honeycombed 

by the Northern Rivers. 

In its old basement

during explosive phases,

or when magma moved 

through central vents,

shales and sandstones 

were ripped away –

to be preserved as xenoliths, 

inside the cooling igneous matrix. 


                            ***


The rising hot basaltic magma 

absorbed, by assimilation, 

pieces of continental crust:

xenocrysts (mainly feldspar). 

We find feldspar bits

along roads, in creeks ...

Once I drew a crystal being

with wild orange hair

who came to me asking.

He said his name was Feldspar.



Wollumbin, aka Mt Warning (public domain).













The channelled drawing mentioned in the poem 

© Rosemary Nissen-Wade 1998:


















Written for dVerse Quadrille 255: 44 words excluding title and including the word xenolith. A xenolith is a fragment of foreign rock trapped inside a larger, igneous rock.  I couldn't resist writing a second quadrille, as second stanza, to include the word xenocryst, an individual foreign crystal similarly trapped. 


It's partly a found poem, in that many of the words and phrases are used verbatim from a Google search about this area.  These geological terms turned out to be so musical, I couldn't resist including them!



30 comments:

  1. We find feldspar bits
    along roads, in creeks ...
    Once I drew a crystal being

    Wonderfully done Rosemary, nice sketch! Can detect the humour of connecting the the guy to the feldspar bits!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful poem Rosemary. You have worked in the scientific terms very skillfully. I love hoe it trips off my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only did I enjoy your two-for-one found quadrilles, Rosemary, I learned something, and agree that the geological terms are musical. I love the shift from movement of magma to static xenoliths, and the percussive, sibilant sounds of these lines:
    ‘pieces of continental crust:
    xenocrysts (mainly feldspar).
    We find feldspar bits’.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write Rosemary 👏 I often end up using words and phrases from research things too. They are often the triggers for inspiration. Love the picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how sure-footed this feels - a real sense of your enjoyment of your surroundings and its wonders and the descriptions of the stones - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived here a long time now, and it feels like my spiritual home.

      Delete
  6. Learned some new things from here. Loved that sketch. Enjoyed the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way you tied all the story and science back to that story with the being called Feldspar is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed both poems, and they seem to go together. I like how you worked in the scientific names and connected them to your delightful sketch.

    You live in a magical place. I don't doubt there are magical creatures there, too. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Merril. I think nature spirits are everywhere, but yes I am lucky to live in a particularly magical place..

      Delete
  9. Rosemary, I love the way you seamlessly wove geology into beautiful poetry .. this is simply amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I think some of the geological terms practically did it for me! All it took was me hearing it in them.

      Delete
  10. Love the Feldspar art!!! Delightful!! I spent yesterday evening reading all about Anak Krakatau and looking at pictures of the Caldera after the original eruption. And today this!!! Whatever the universe is saying, am interpreting as glorious, fiery and colourful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your poems. Educational and poetic. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this, so rich in imagery, the whole volcanic, rock, crust is a feast.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!