We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

3.9.26

Growing Apart


Why is it

one can absorb the changes;

one cannot? 

One and one make two –

only sometimes. 

At others, one and one

make one and 

one other.


Ideally

when love is full,

one and one make one –

becoming one, being

united 

whole.

(Which is perhaps illusion

or, only sometimes. But still.)


A long friendship

is a kind of marriage –

without the complications

of sex. Without

the financial

entanglement.

Easier in some ways,

more comfortable.


But lives go on, and happen

at times on different tracks.

They can lead

further and further away.

Not a loop rejoining, but

other directions, other

scenery / people /

contrivances for living.


The funny thing is,

you don’t notice. There is

still communication. 

(Communication is stilled

but you don’t notice.)

Until they say something

and you respond 

and they take offence.


And when you look at it

you can quite see why they do,

how it, carelessly, sounded –

only, once, the way it was meant

would have been clear, accepted,

understood, needing no 

explanation. No apology. Not 

between these two.


But it has come to this.

We no longer run

so deep – no longer joined. 

Instances proliferate.

Explanations, apologies:

wasteful. I detach 

quietly. Respond politely.

From the outside.




Written for Poets and Storytellers United at Friday Writings #243, where we are invited to write something which includes numbers.




24 comments:

  1. Sometimes one and one makes two but often it's still one and one. I like this idea from the first stanza 👍 Nice write Rosemary 👏

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your poem holds the realization that comes only with maturity—both the maturity of life and the maturity of our relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have versified a whole life. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. A long friendship
    is a kind of marriage –
    without the complications

    These lines resonate with me Rosemary! Friendship is a blessed relationship! Nice lines Ma'am!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must say that I treasure my friendships. (Only, sometimes, eventually ...)

      Delete
  5. One and one make two – / only sometimes. / At others, one and one /
    make one and / one other. - Yes!! This is wonderfully written... I also love "we no longer run so deep" - I too tend to step away when that happens...sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed...waited... but perhaps it would have just been wasteful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this instance, it took me a while to realise it had come to that, and I've done it so quietly that perhaps it won't even be noticed.

      Delete
  6. I've felt that slow breakdown more than once. I guess I'm lucky that none of them have ever stung all that much. In fact, considering how much someone had gone off the deep end, it felt like a relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time it gets that far, no it doesn't sting. But still seems sad ... ah well!

      Delete
  7. Sad when a long time friendship evolves into an acquaintance. And as you describe, most often the uncoupling is a subtle affair, a movement on separate tracks which goes unnoticed until one realizes that closeness will never loop back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, really sad – yet there's a sort of 'can't-be-helped' feeling about it, too.

      Delete
  8. Hmmm never been good with numbers....Interesting poem.....Relationships change. I can't really comment. I don't understand people really. I know what I know music ,cats and how to make real French mayonnaise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are such excellent things to know! (I only know one of them.)

      Delete
    2. one is the loneliest number they say. really like the way this poem tries to hang on. it really feels like what it describes

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Eric. I was trying to create that effect; glad to know I succeeded.

      Delete
  9. It is very good to be able to step back from some relationships and view them from the outside - one is a very valuable number and a great place to communicate with yourself from - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  10. Philosophically shared.
    One plus one equals eleven sometimes when the pair is great!
    And sometimes they add up to zero if the pair doesn't see eye-to-eye!

    - Anita www.anitaexplorer.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very deep take on 'numbers'. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!