We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

5.12.19

The Only Constant


The Only Constant










Driving to town, I saw the old flower shed –
still labelled with its big sign out front, still
with sunflowers painted on the outside walls.
It’s been closed for – my goodness, years. That’s 
what happens when you live in a town so long.

I wanted it to stay the same. Yet I like
some of the changes: the new cafés,
the pop-up gelato shop, the downtown 
arts precinct … and hey, the flowers at the shed 
were too expensive anyway.

Changes happen. Once more I’m without a cat.
I decided I won’t get another, but maybe one
is trying to get me. He came and sat peacefully 
in my back yard the other day. He jumped up and left
when I spoke to him in surprise, but he didn’t run.

The place where I live has changed 
since Andrew lived with me. Gradually
I’ve geared it more and more to one person 
living alone. No-one to please but me. I wonder 
if his spirit notices the changes to his last home?

Some people hate change. Some embrace it,
find it exciting. Others are simply resigned:
it’s what it is, no sense resisting. At different times 
I’m all three. But we can’t change the fact 
that life is constantly subject to change.


'Change is the only constant in life' – Heraclitus

Written for Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Changes

Sunflower image: Public Domain

10 comments:

  1. There are so many changes going on around us, I am overjoyed at the old and familiar, Rosemary. That’s the thing about cats – you can’t replace them but another one will find you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary,

    You have written the most perfect poem, connected with various aspects of change. I loved it, for the fact that you seem to have seen the changes and felt them too, but have adapted your life to move along, with those changes added..
    I do hope a new cat adopts you Rosemary:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he must belong to a neighbour; he didn't look hungry. Perhaps he will become the cat I have when I don't have a cat! :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoy the relaxation and acceptance in this poem as you take us on a tour of the new and old in your neighborhood. I hope the visiting cat will return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hope the cat comes back. I loved this poem of reflection. Some things change, some stay the same. Thank heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredibly touching, Rosemary! ❤️ I had tears in my eyes as I reached the closing lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely embrace change, although sometimes I find it exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "At different times / I’m all three." And I couldn't agree more. What I most love about the poem is its conversational style exploring various emotions in a deep and heartfelt way. A very touching poem, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. but maybe one
    is trying to get me. - love that... there's an inevitability to most relationships, somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the cat returns. It would be so lucky!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!