We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

24.9.20

The Universe Is Always Listening

The Universe Is Always Listening


'What is it?' she said,

'That invisible thing

marked with patience?

I should have it, not you.

I’m the pretty one.

All the daddies 

and uncles and cousins

like me because I smile

and I’m pretty. Pretty

and sweet. You

just stay in the corner. 

It’s not fair. It’s all

supposed to come to me.'


I didn’t answer.

How could I?

I didn’t know.

Not for a long time.

And anyway I wanted

the approval bestowed 

and the pretty face

that earned it.

(I was very young.

We both were.)

The pretty manners too. 

But I didn’t know how

to simper.


‘Patience wouldn’t 

please you anyway,’

I didn’t know to say.

Well it was long ago.

She’s dead now.

She did find ways

to get much

that she wanted.

After the face

grew ordinary

she still had

wiles and charm.

And calculation.


My invisible support, 

I understand now,

can be discerned

in its effects ...

if you’re looking.

There is nothing

I have to do. That’s 

what bugged her,

my jealous cousin.

I do sometimes ask,

but I don’t have to.

(I sometimes

forget that.)


After my last cat died

I knew I must have

no more. It’s not fear 

of further heartbreaks, 

but my old body 

no longer fit to do 

the work of taking care.

‘I hope I don’t

get mice now,’ I thought.

In time a python arrived.

I'm remembering a friend 

once, who said, 'The Gods 

must love you, darling!'




The actual dialogue in the first verse is fictional. That's the only thing that is.


It seems I should explain, for people not familiar with them, that pythons (not unusual in this part of Australia) are good at keeping the mice down; hence, if one doesn't have a cat....


The prompt was about temporary or hidden supports. I went with hidden; definitely not temporary!


Written for Weekly Scribblings #38: A Helping String at Poets and Storytellers United. 



18 comments:

  1. Touched to the center of my witchy heart! Interesting how things just work out, eh? LOL, I know it's springtime where you are, but this feels like a good fall read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were young the other always had something good that we did not possess. In the later ages sometimes the held back feeling will come out, sometimes. The last verse, "After my last cat died I knew I must have no more ... " Ford me I've said that about the dog being replaced. Plus we might trip over one and fall. Break something?
    Plain good, all the way through, Rosemary.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading you own comment at the end I always remind myself when writing that you don't really need to make things up just search back over a few years of memory and there will almost always be something interesting to write about that you have experienced yourself that if necessary you can fictionalize for fun. I really loved your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gave me heart to think that as much as you would love a cat that you are unselfish enough to realise that you would be unable to give it the special care these lovely creatures deserve. Such altruism is unusual in my experience....good to read it....good to know you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mood evokes Halloween feels, almost as if the words are being whispered through the Veil. I really like how much the voice reminded me of conversations in We Have Always Lived in the Castle. And I love the ending--that friend must be very wise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I identified with so much here. The write reminded me of a recent country song by Toby Keith called "How Do You Like Me Now?" (You might enjoy the lyrics!)
    A python? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosemary simper? Never. Great write, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adore the second stanza in its honesty and drawing us in. The whole poem is a gift to us readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have to agree with Helen. No simpering here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the line that you didn't have to do anything. Our dog died and now we have had bear and racoons in the garden. A python! Wow. Is it never too late for a python.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think pythons are restricted to any one time. The good thing is that they do keep the mice down, so a useful replacement for a cat.

      Delete
  11. Don't know how I missed this 1st time around, R. Well done. But, um, Python? No. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not unusual here, and often live in a place a long time without being detected.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Ron, the coolest thing about house snakes is how seldom you actually see most of them. They're not "pets" and don't want to be. They keep out from under humans' feet.

      Delete
  12. Cheers for appreciating the python for what it does! Though I must say...big as our Gulegi is, and efficient at keeping the Cat Sanctuary free from any other snake except his occasional dates...he'd have no chance against the rodents if we didn't keep cats. Plural. My mother gave him many years to try it, and we trapped, and we poisoned, and the house always smelled of mouse. With the cats we've made it through years at a time when the only "mice" were the ones on the computers.

    There really ought to be an animal that's native to Australia, not dangerous to humans, and able to kill non-native rodents as fast as they breed. I wish I had a clue which animal might someday evolve in that direction. Hope it'll be your python!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there really ought to be, indeed! I had cats for most of the last 10 years (and before that, but 10 years = my time at this address) and they eradicated the mice fairly early on, so I think The Pythoness will be able to handle any new ones.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!