We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

15.9.20

To Those I Leave Behind

To Those I Leave Behind


I apologise for all the books

and the boxes of papers.

You could just throw them away

without looking. But there are

treasures among them. Well,

I treasured them. Maybe not you.


Give the books to the Salvos, 

I guess. Burn the papers. 

Or keep them, thinking you’ll 

go through them one day. 

You won’t. (I know because some 

are your stepfather’s, still unsorted.)


Never mind about my body.

Burn it of course, but don't worry

with funerals and things. I won’t

be in it any more. I won’t care.

I don’t demand respect for my

empty husk! Still, if you feel a need…


Yes, I was always sentimental 

about Things. Please find good homes

for my peacock feathers, my shells,

my collections of stones, my crystals.

Don’t chuck my teddy bears in the bin.

Find them some loving children.


I had adventures. I loved much.

I did all the things, even the ones

that scared me (some only once).

I got everything I wanted. I made

poetry and magic. I was a healer.

I laughed and cried. I had good friends.


I made mistakes and I learned. 

I lived long. I loved beauty. 

I was here! I always knew life itself

was the gift: feast and enough.

Look for me in oceans and rivers, 

in mountains and trees, in sunsets….




Written for Weekly Scribblings #37: Last Messages (my own prompt) at Poets and Storytellers United, inviting people to imagine their final message to the world.








16 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the little things that brought you joy going on to make new people happy. LOL, I hope my family burns any to-do lists I happen to leave behind, and that they roast marshmallows over the flames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an excellent thought! (Smile.) You should leave instructions to that effect.

      Delete
  2. Your poem resonates with me, Rosemary. I too would have to apologise for
    books, boxes of papers, the ornaments and bits and pieces on my study shelves, but hope that my husband and daughter would find some treasure.
    I love the lines:
    ‘Look for me in oceans and rivers,
    in mountains and trees, in sunsets…’

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sense of giving back to the world - and the magical sending

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess if ANY poem could stand as an example on how to write the perfect jisei, this would be IT! Wonderful work, Rosemary; sentiments I'd bet many of us share, but expressed like few of us can. Blew me away.
    And thanks for hosting/prompting! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is the many little things in life that make it so worthwhile. Giving in life is so important for then people will always remember you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every April, around my birthday, I rewrite a poem I started drafting in my teens. It began with a few lines during one uncle's funeral--everyone was fighting over rites and possessions, and I never wanted them to do that over my cooling flesh. Those first lines were so angry--like most things during adolescence, I guess. Not today. After living a few decades, my poem reads more like yours. And I always smile while I add things to it (and often take things out). The following of your lines sing a song my heart and soul knows:

    "I was here! I always knew life itself
    was the gift: feast and enough."

    This is just stunning, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this for all it's beauty and truth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I got everything I wanted. I made

    poetry and magic. I was a healer"
    This is so faithfilled and contented, i would luv to feature it in my October series of quotes at Facebook

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much to digest in this most perfect of farewell poems ~~ I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Rosemary, this is wonderful. You've touched all the important points of a life well lived. I know your descendants will treasure your memory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe every word, Rosemary. I too have things saved plus I am a hoarder saving things like bottles and boxes. What for?
    Thank you fore the prompt, it was nice to write. I started last night but finished tonight. It isn't quite like I wanted but I had to stop.
    Cheers,
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look for me in oceans and rivers...lovely... my kin visit me there too...beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete
  13. "‘Look for me in oceans and rivers,
    in mountains and trees, in sunsets"

    I hope my "left-behinds" look in those same spots for me.
    Love the collections! I've got giraffes, shells, and loads of paper
    that no one will know what to do with. Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!