We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

20.7.21

Heading in Different Directions

Heading in Different Directions


The one I remember 

as the most romantic

gave me Leonard Cohen:

poems, novels, songs.


How soon it came 

to distances, things

we couldn’t untie;

to sorrow and goodbye.


Just a station on my way?

Oh yes, and I on his.

Until the night grew older. 

Sound of wheels moving.


Since then, what long

good journeys both,

diverging ... then briefly,

later, waving across tracks.


Neither would wish

to have missed

our fine, separate travels.

Nor can we go back.


Yet resting place 

was turning point –

our pause for warmth

at that waystation.



Should I credit Leonard Cohen for a few of these lines? Perhaps ... but I've changed them a bit.


Written for Weekly Scribblings #79 at Poets and Storytellers United, where the prompt was to be inspired by the word 'waystation'. 


13 comments:

  1. The metaphor works so beautifully with the bittersweet tone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, be still my heart … such lovely writing. Mr. Cohen and I have a decades long relationship ~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine work indeed, Ships, passing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Generally these way station waystation stops are sooo pleasant though often there are hard feelings and bitterness at the end. One of mine lasted over a year but ended when her true love was discharged from military, ending his overseas duty. Your work here tells of those elegantly and evokes many memories. Thank you.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The journey in its entiety is what counts. The waystation points however precious.

    Happy Wednesday

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem made me think of a couple of tender way stations in my life, Rosemary. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your journey with and trough a book has come alive. A clever piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A romantic bittersweet remembrance

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky to have such memories of romantic sweet boyfriends....mine were hip cultural marxist pseudo intellectual jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People as way stations. I never thought of that metaphor until I read your poem. Now I can identify several of those way stations in my own life. Thanks, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. a staycation on the way
    among evergreens that lay
    spreading peace and calm
    in the hot weather of May

    lovely composition

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you depicted way stations. Great direction
    for this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fine work indeed, all of it; but I esp appreciate the " late, waving across the tracks" image.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!