We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

20.2.23

‘It’s been a long time coming’


‘But that’s good!’ I think, my mind going immediately to the – er – personal, perverting the intended meaning. 


I remember an occasion when a group of us were talking about travel options, and I said, in all seriousness,


‘I always prefer the long, scenic routes.’


But I pronounced ‘routes’ as we do in Australia, like ‘roots’, and my Canadian friend — who had been here long enough to pick up another Australianism — said with a wicked smile, lowering her voice to husky,


‘Oh, so do I!’


Her husband snorted dismissively.


(The difference between women and men?)


For whatever reason, that marriage didn’t last.



long ago

conversations —

a circle

old friends old loves

some dead, others …




Note: The word 'root' is Aussie slang for sexual intercourse. (One of several words Americans should be careful about saying to Australians because it doesn't mean, here, what it does there.) 


For Friday Writings #65 at Poets and Storytellers United, Rommy invites us to write what comes to mind when we see the phrase, “it’s been a long time coming.” (It's not her fault if I have a dirty mind.)






23 comments:

  1. Oh, that's funny! I love the story. My niece is now an Aussie so I've learned a funny language faux pas or two. For instance you call sweaters jumpers. Right? That strikes us as hilarious, to think of grown men wearing jumpers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's fascinating! Sweaters and jumpers mean the same thing here — but what on earth do jumpers mean over there?

      Delete
    2. High Rosemary, Jumpers here are a piece of suspendered clothing here that mostly small children wear. They are similar to the adult bibbed overall but in children's colors, sometimes decorated. I think the name comes because they won't fall off or slip down when they jump up and down.
      A note, we are losing some great neighbors as they are moving back to Melbourne (Aus) where his company is located.
      ..

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jim. I never realised that is what Americans mean by 'jumpers'.
      I think Melbourne's still a pretty good place to live. I have lots of friends and family there.

      Delete
  2. LOL... this is a refreshing take indeed! It's funny that here we say route as in root like the brits of course but then router (for the internet) is pronounced the american way because the word came in from there with the tech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we say 'router' the `American way here too, for the same reason.

      Delete
  3. I used to say ‘roots’ but some place along the way I have changed. I don't really remember when, why, or how it came about. I didn't know of the Aussie slang meaning.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you do now! So be careful to whom you talk about 'rooting' for your team.

      Delete
    2. Ha Ha.....don't hear that expression much these days....think it has fallen into the shit a brick category:)

      Delete
  4. Aha good one You can see some things coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet poetic wisp. I don't know any other way to pronounce routes/roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim's comment, coupled with yours, leads me to believe it may be pronounced differently in different parts of America. I always thought all Americans pronounced 'route' to rhyme with 'out'.

      Delete
  6. Rosemary, this is priceless! Growing up, we loved hearing Nat King Cole sing "Get Your Kicks on Route 66" which was pronounced the way you do .... oh me, oh my!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we cart in trunks
    you do in boots
    Nat King croons 'route'
     you move to mute
    anti-clockwise your way
    counter-clockwise we say
    serviettes as you dine
    child nappies past nine
     barbie grills your shrimp
    mind you don't scrimp
    next time I plan
    to travel down under
    have to brush up
    can't risk a blunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Helen!!

      (Just never, never speak of patting someone on the fanny. It can still cause shock waves.)

      Delete
  8. Ha, ha ha this a nice and funny post , I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bwahaahahahaha! I like your take on the prompt. Sounds as if she was rid of him too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Great story, Rosemary. thanks for the warning about 'roots"!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!