We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

7.3.24

Love Letter to a Favourite Companion














Wrap yourself around me

in a warm and tender embrace!

Enclose me, enfold me, 

keep the cold world out!


Not only protective,

you’re also good-looking. 

I love your shape, your colour

(not insipidly pale like me).


When you’re with me,

cuddling close, I feel 

more beautiful myself.

I walk more proudly.


It’s been a long and faithful,

happy partnership. True,

I’ve sometimes flirted with others,

but none had your depth or breadth.


You’re different from them all. 

You’re more complete. Solid,

not frivolous. And you stroke my skin

delightfully, but you never tickle.

 

We’re both ageing now.

I only hope that you will be 

the one to outlast me, and stay

to hug me gently at the end.



Photo: Mirror selfie of me wearing my beloved ruana wrap.


Written for Friday Writings #117: Sensual Clothing at Poets and Storytellers United.








25 comments:

  1. She doesn't really sound too enticing. For sure she shouldn't expect him to stay if she is flirting with other guys. I wouldn't tell unless I got caught, not even mention that.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even so, my ruana is utterly faithful to me and has never embraced anyone else.

      Delete
  2. Now that I have googled and learnt what Ruana means, it does sound huggable, and warm... and worth holding close!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had mine many years – decades – and I'm sure the term wasn't in use when I first got it, but I looked for a word to describe it for the poem, as it's not a shawl, not a poncho, not a cape .... and what do you know, I found one.

      Delete
    2. I've certainly learnt a lot from this prompt - ruana and serape and tabard... here, one fleece hoodie can get you through the "winter"... !!! :)

      Delete
  3. none had your depth or breadth - love this - depth & breadth of the embrace of love. I can feel the warmth in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully cheeky and I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure when I learned that a ruana is something in the serape family, and I've never been sure exactly how it differs from other things in the family, but they tend to look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now I shall have to Google serape to further my education!

      Delete
  6. I have one of those too. Hugging me gently. Now I know what to call it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely written. Garments should be comfortable and convenient and functional and easy to manage. When I see the fashionistas I wonder how they walk in those tight gowns or whatever they are called. The name is high street fashion!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yes, I am so glad we're way past the decades of having to slavishly follow fashion, when everyone looked the same and it wasn't always very functional.

      Delete
  8. And a good looking wrap she is! She's a keeper! LOL. This was a fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree she's good-looking (and that she's a she). And I have kept her for 32 years so far! (She's quality.)

      Delete
  9. Some clothing, we have a deep attachment to. Couldn't grow old, couldn't be thrown away, maybe just a bit frayed at the edges.
    Now I know what a ruana wrap is.

    - dsnake1 (have to publish as anon. and only on Edge, not on Chrome)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tend to keep my favourites for decades, as long as possible. Ha ha, it seems many of us have been learning new terms for these garments.

      Delete
  10. Please to learn that the wrap has been faithful and loyal!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!