We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

13.9.24

My Unbearable Silence

or, Why I’m Not Writing About Wars and the Extinction of Species


My unbearable silence

will not let go of me.

Words choke in my throat.

The poems don’t stumble

or fall – they are paralysed

before they start. Horrors

we can’t help contemplate

strike me silent. It’s not 

that I don’t want to cry out

against them. To scream or sob

would be release, if only

in that moment. To yell outrage

might at least make the point,

even to those who refuse to listen:

they could not afterwards say

that the words were never said.


But the saying dies inside me

before being born, in the face of 

all the words said by others, unheard.



Written for Poets and Storytellers United, in response to Friday Writings #144; To speak up or stay silent? in which we are invited to consider a poem by Rajani Radhakrishnan. My title here, and the reference to stumbling and falling, quote that poem.




16 comments:

  1. The "unheard" at the end is so powerful... I think your poem, just by expressing anguish at its own silence, speaks for those whose voices are not heard...maybe we don't have to rage against the dying of the light, just point to it gently so everyone turns to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "Unheard" hits me hard too. That's often one of my chief frustrations. It helps when I remind myself how heartening it can be just to hear yourself say the thing out loud, even if I am the only one listening.

      Delete
    2. Yes, good to stay in touch with one's own truth and resist all the propoganda that's out there. And while things we say may not be heard, things we don't say definitely won't be. (Advice to myself!)

      Delete
  2. A beautiful poised poem and a searching dilemma..Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. To even write this goes some little way to addressing that dilemma.

      Delete
  3. Wow a beautiful, true, and powerful poem Yes I know the feeling of outpouring energy just dying in the face of being unheard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least P&SU provides a place to 'hear' each other. I find treasures each week.

      Delete
  4. Yes, too often "unheard" is the reasoning behind not speaking out and an excuse for staying silent. Also, not sure who said: History repeats itself because nobody listens the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets disheartening. I am nearly 85 and have been yelling as loudly as I could about environmental dangers most of my life, and I'm far from the only one – yet here we are.

      Delete
  5. C'mon Aussie c'mon c'mon....
    Laugh the buggers off the planet?
    For an ole sheila
    You're pretty amazing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hadn't considered that option – until I read your poem, Rall!
      And thank you.

      Delete
  6. Yes, the problem. How to be heard above the crowd. Instead of the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, if enough of us yell loudly enough.... I've been convinced by others' poems on this topic that we must keep on speaking up.

      Delete
  7. Your poem highlights there being something seriously wrong within some of our societies and that Compassion Fatigue has become a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is – but this poem is more an expression of despair.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!