I gather trinkets now. Indulgences. Now, at last, when my life grows late.
A silver ring like a fox; earrings like silver roses – though why I need them I don’t know, knowing we can take nothing with us. Nothing, perhaps, except our memories.
Will you remember me? Now, I know you do; but always?
‘Shall we meet again?’ I asked the seer, soon after you died. He looked, it seemed, into some kind of space, at once inner and cosmic. After a few minutes, said, ‘Nothing surer.’ Then, after another pause, ‘But not in this time.’
Well, duh, I didn’t want to encounter you next as a new infant and I an old lady!
Then again, I want always to encounter you. Whichever way you come, whatever body you’re dressed in.
There is no body you inhabit now. (Well, not as far as I know.) There is the one I remember … in which to dress your soul … your soul which I also remember.
The trinkets are simply symbols. I wish they might also be signals. Do you receive them, in the ether somewhere?
Symbols. Signals. Sigils?
I fill them full of intent.
Exploring the zuihitsu form: 'following the brush' – or the movement of the imagined brush.
Sharing with Poets and Storytellers United, for Friday Writings #237: Favourites Revisited, in which I invite participants to identify a favourite prompt and write a new piece inspired by it. When I came to do that for myself, I discovered that there is no particular subject I prefer, but that I most like prompts to which I am inclined to respond using form, particularly some form I feel I'm not adept with and need to explore. One of my current favourite forms to fit that bill is a style of prose poetry called the zuihitsu. I'm not sure I'm even getting it right – but making the attempt is one of my poetic pleasures.
What a tender meditation - I suppose we gather trinkets along our journey - tangible wishes and hopes - you make me feel peaceful in the knowledge of how the journey progresses - Jae
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jae. I'm glad it has that effect on you. I'm waxing sentimental, I suppose – but why not, if it pleases me?
DeleteWhat a beautiful reflections Shall we meet again? if only we would know and I love how you said the body you remember in which to dress your soul and maybe a soul is indeed able to receive signs as we are too
ReplyDeleteLet us hope so!
DeleteA beautiful reflective piece. Will we meet? Wait, you will find out. But not yet.
ReplyDeleteAnd in fact I'm happy enough to wait a while longer.
DeleteI enjoyed your mystic pondering and speculate if we are old souls exchanging bodies like clothes, it might be nice to remember.
ReplyDeleteThen again, to remember now is good.
DeleteThis is a deeply reflective and thought-provoking piece. In the end, we seem to face two questions: will we be missed in this world, and will we be recognized in the next? Yet if we are truly part of the greater Him, perhaps we simply return — becoming one with Him again and laying down all the small trinkets we gathered along the way. Our journey could be like a drop of rain meeting the sea after leaving the clouds, with some falling directly and others crossing hills and meadows before arriving.
ReplyDeleteIn truth, I think very much along those lines – but that doesn't stop me having moments of all-too-human longing.
Deletetrinkets... absolutely.... signs and signals... patiently waiting..... till we meet again... can't wait... loved your response to the prompt
ReplyDeleteThank you for expressing your enjoyment!
DeleteYou did very well on your zuihitsu, Rosemary! There are a lot of mementos that come our way to remember. Great to reflect on memories.
ReplyDeleteHank
Thanks, Hank. Yes, it is one of life's pleasures.
DeleteI love your zuihitsu. Someday I will try it too. This is an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteThat's nice to know. I have now added a link to the words 'zuihitsu form' in my notes above, so you (and others) can read more about it before trying it. It's not easy to categorise – which is the point, I suppose.
DeleteIt is comforting to think that trinkets may be signals out in the ether...this piece is lovely but am still not quite sure how to work the zuihitsu.
ReplyDeleteMe neither! I think there is a fair bit of latitude. That 'follow the brush' idea is my guide, allowing the brush to meander.
DeleteVery deep and a lot to ponder.There are mysteries which will always remain mysteries Magic will always exist in the world Enjoyed your poem
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rall. I expect we need the mysterious, as well as the magical.
Delete"Well, duh, I didn’t want to encounter you next as a new infant and I an old lady!" That is hilarious! I too collect trinkets I won't need, don't wear. Just pretty little things that make me happy to look at.
ReplyDeleteOh I do wear mine, if only for my own eyes. And I have trinkets of the non-wearable kind, which I also enjoy looking at. Why not, indeed?
DeleteGlad I made you laugh with that line.
What a beautiful, reflective piece of writing. I love, "‘Nothing surer.’ Then, after another pause, ‘But not in this time.’ By the way, I still buy earrings.
ReplyDeleteThese days I mostly buy mine in op shops (which perhaps you call thrift stores) which can yield some wonderful finds, and wear them for my own pleasure, even around the house on my own.
Delete