We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

14.7.26

That Childhood Game

 

I remember the huge puff

that blew the dandelion seeds 

all 

off


to fly away on the air, 

and you had to

get the lot

in one whoosh.


I can’t 

remember why – 

any of it. 

Something


about love … ?

Do you think 

I’m getting 

old?



A quadrille for dVerse's Q251 Light Burst of Air

(A quadrille is a poem of 44 words excluding title. And including one compulsory word, in this case 'puff'.)




24 comments:

  1. Something about love... maybe when it doesn't fill our mind the metaphor is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can always puff dandelion seeds regardless of our age - it’s good to remember happy times too - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit it's a long time since I did that, but they are good memories.

      Delete
  3. Rosemary, the way you describe it reminds me of blowing out all of the candles at once on a birthday cake. Whether love or wishes, both are good things. Lovely Q!

    ReplyDelete
  4. to fly away on the air,
    and you had to
    get the lot
    in one whoosh.

    It is nice to remember all the good times of old. Everyone does at times! Great lines Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hank. Glad if I've occasioned some happy memories for you.

      Delete
  5. The simple joys of childhood...now I watch my grandchildren puff those dandelion seeds! I like your quadrille, Rosemary :) I didn't know it had to be all in one blow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I might be remembering wrong, as well as dimly!. Perhaps that's only birthday candles, as Lisa reminds us.

      Delete
  6. A poignant poem, Rosemary. I love the way you express it, "Something about love . . .?" As if the poet is conversing with us and trying to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not at all! Your are just coming into your prime! :>) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember doing that too! And also can't remember what the point was. But I thought it was something to do with time, maybe. Lovely poem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there's someone else who remembers the game but not the ostensible reason. I suspect it was just a fun thing to do and people made up reasons.

      Delete
    2. OLD? YOU? NEVER! So glad you journeyed to the land of dandelions, I still enjoy blowing the puffs. Thanks also for leaving me a comment.

      Delete
    3. Ha, we are never-growing-old together! How delightful, and cheery, to think of you still blowing the puffs.

      Delete
  9. Rosemary, I love how the short lines feel like a fading memory, turning a childhood game into a sweet question about love and getting older.

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that past time, but not why we did it. You are starting your second childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your use of dandelions as puffs too. I don't remember the reason for having to do them all in one blow but I'm getting old. Lol 😂

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!