These days (elderly)
I no longer march.
Instead I email politicians.
They reply, promptly and
non-comittally.
I post things on facebook too –
things I read and agree with.
They seldom get any response
though my friends are like-minded.
Has everyone finally
succumbed to despair?
Written for dVerse Quadrille #354: I Protest.
Your protest is implied not stated
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by my blog
Much love
Well, it is stated in the title. I was hoping that would be enough. But it's true the poem does deal more with the decline of protest – and perhaps may be seen as protesting against that.
DeleteThanks, Gillena. Love to you too.
Oh, me too, Rosemary! I couldn’t march now. Aren’t the responses to letters, emails and posts disappointing? Despair does seem to be the reason.
ReplyDeleteThe problems are looking so big, now.
DeleteFrom what I've read, political representatives do tally emails and calls. Sometimes it works. I don't think FB does anything, but there are letter and postcard actions and other things you can do from home.
ReplyDeleteTrue. Despairing or not, we shouldn't give up doing whatever we can.
DeleteA great question! Sometimes I wonder! Protesting takes a different form as we age.
ReplyDeleteYes, of necessity.
DeleteHas everyone finally
ReplyDeletesuccumbed to despair?
No, certainly not Rosemary! Things move but not at the same pace. They ultimately get resolved. Thoughtful closing Ma'am!
Hank
Ah, thank you Hank, for that positive reminder.
DeleteYes, I feel very discouraged, with few spaces to vent. I do believe posting facts makes a difference, with specifics, sources, etc. We can never really know how many quietly absorb it or are influenced by it. However, it is very difficult getting mean and meaningless responses.
ReplyDeleteMy facebook is 'Friends only,' so I am mostly preaching to the converted – although we are not always in perfect agreement. But when we're not, we remain polite to each other. Posting facts is very good advice, thank you.
DeleteOh, sometimes it feels like we are shouting into the void, doesn't it? I like to think, and have to believe, that our protests are being registered somehow, even if they aren't recognised until after we are gone. Nothing truly disappears from the internet. And not our poetry.
ReplyDeleteThat's encouraging, thanks. Yes, if we have voices I think we must use them.
DeleteI have never gone to a protest... it is something I never have resonated with. But I would like to find another good way.
ReplyDeleteA good way – that's the tricky bit, isn't it? Sometimes we have to use whatever way presents itself, no matter how poor it may seem.
DeleteI would like to think we haven't fallen into despair or complacently, but it's not looking good these days. Great poem.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I would like to think that, too.
DeleteI hope everyone has not succumbed to despair, Rosemary. <3
ReplyDeleteWell, not entirely, I guess – judging by the many amazing poems written in response to this prompt.
DeleteWe cannot let despair win.
ReplyDeleteI do agree. That would mean giving up, which would mean that what we want to protest against would win. But it has become very difficult not to fall into despair!
DeleteRosemary, we all protest in ways that we can. Even when we vote against the ruling party during elections, it is a kind of protest. Let's not despair, ways and means of protest change as we age.
ReplyDeleteThank you; a good point!
DeleteI think we do what we can, and you speak to that. I was listening recently to someone speaking about the power of emails and letters - they still have great impact apparently. I found this to be gently encouraging even while decrying the sedate nature of the protest, but - protest is protest.
ReplyDeleteThank you. It's good to know our communications are effective.
Delete