We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

14.6.18

Long-Term Love Affair


Long-Term Love Affair

The world stopped,
then changed forever.
Confronted by your
rare, incomparable beauty,
I was seduced
at first sight –
yes, I admit,
by your looks,
those mere externals –
the sleek lines
of your body,
your colourful presence....

I was bold.
We got together.
You didn't disappoint.
Such skilled performance!
You made everything
smooth and easy.
After each encounter
I emerged smiling,
not only satisfied
but further enraptured,
more and more
amazed, thrilled, infatuated.

Then, at length,
the rumours began –
the whispers that
you might be –
oh no, impossible! –
but yes: evil.
However, I'm hooked.
Won't desert you
(couldn't bear to).
I've grown dependent.
So I turn 
the proverbial blind.

Easy to dismiss
all such ideas
of secret wrongdoing
in the face
of your loveliness –
changing with time,
yet uniquely, characteristically 
yours, only yours ...
and the surprises
you still manage,
to my ongoing,
my unalloyed delight.

Once, with friends
around a table,
one of them
said your name.
She and I
and one other 
spoke with animation
of your many
shining qualities, until
we finally noticed 
other eyes glazing,
the bemused silence.

"Oh. Ah! Yes,"
said the technician.
"To you lot
a computer is
just a box –
to Mac owners
an object of
sheer, unbridled lust."
Though it costs, 
I can't regret
that first bite
of the Apple.

Written for Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Lust

22 comments:

  1. You are so wicked. Bwahahahaha! What a glorious closing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever!!!!! I have noted that Mac people are well pleased with their computers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rather more than that. When we discuss the latest models, we tend to drool. I've recently seen the iPad Pro. (Out of my reach I fear, but) OMG, OMG, OMG!!!

      Delete
  3. Hahaha. So beautifully and tastefully done. It makes me want to write anther poem about lust, admitting to the pleasure of the senses in most of what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful, especially the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My very first was an imac. Gorgeous bondi coloured. Oh yes and i remember back then the insinuations of its being evil.
    Wow!!!

    Much♥️love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha...till I came to the technician...OMG...Absolutely delightful :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is so much to fall in love with in life, comfortable chairs, cars, shoes, a 5 iron in golf, I even have a shirt I just don't want to throw away! As for a computer, I leave that to you! What a grewat laught this is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL... such love.. nay lust we have for all our rectangular devices!!! Phone, TV, laptop ...et al.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much enjoyed Rosemary (comme d'habitude) ... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So delightful and the closing brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great twist on the lust concept. I’ll admit I was duped. Yes, you Mac users are a hopeless lot! :-)

    ReplyDelete


  12. You had me there!🤣🤣 I share your lust for that beautiful specimen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh love this Love the surprise end, although I don't share the taste of Apple I fall for the general PC lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got me! My husband is in this club and tries to convince me to partake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No regrets is best. Ah...the symbolic apple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a reason for that logo, which so clearly says 'Temptation'. (Smile.)

      Delete
  16. I knew there was going to be a twist, but you still surprised me!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!