We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

13.8.18

Enheduanna's Daughter


















Enheduanna's Daughter

The first author in recorded history,
what she wrote was poetry.

She was High Priestess to the Goddess Inanna
and also to the Moon Goddess, Nanna.

She was an activist and social reformer.
Of course I am – with others – her daughter!

Thought to have been an Akkadian princess,
I see her as the Diana of her age, no less.

On the votive disc we distinguish her
by her frills, her circlet, her braided hair.

The men are plainly dressed and bald.
But all are priests, all walking tall.

A king's daughter, with Privilege in her dress,
she chose a life of constant service.

In my own small way, I too hope to serve.
May my ephemeral verses add to Love –

which keeps the world going round, it's said –
and in some way, by being, to honour those dead

who came before: each determined ancestor
from whom I claim the name of daughter.

Down through countless generations,
through many lost and scattered nations,

women have fallen, women have risen,
but we know to use the gifts we are given.

Enheduanna of the unknown face,
warrior and healer, you carved your space

in a world of challenge and diversity,
as we now make our place. So shall it be.


Written for Poetic Bloomings #210, where we are asked to write why we chose the name of our bog

Also shared with Poets United's Poetry Pantry #424


24 comments:

  1. "In my own small way, I too hope to serve./May my ephemeral verses add to Love": Beautiful! I like how you talk about the myths and the history and somewhat about politics too, in a thoughtfully wrought verse. It is at once both personal and socially significant.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women have fallen, women have risen. So very true. I do hope that in our age women never fall again and that we all retain our place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful history - herstory? - to contemplate. A long line of poets followed in her footsteps. Cool poem, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the strength and confidence the long line of ancestors gives this speaker. I love that she was a poet, love that we know a few descriptors but could use any face. She carved her space, and so do each of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this piece, Rosemary, with references to beliefs (for some, from a by-gone age)

    ReplyDelete
  6. May my ephemeral verses add to Love – that is a worthy goal indeed for a poet..in the end to add to the love in the universe!! So good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo Sherry's comment. We are all her daughters.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful to read this and to do similar ourselves to choose a pathfinder to follow for our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeously written! 💞 Especially love and admire; "In my own small way, I too hope to serve. May my ephemeral verses add to Love – which keeps the world going round." 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful... I should have googled the name long ago, but it was so interesting to learn about the first recorded author was a woman...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Powerful! I could see this as a staged piece, ringing out across the audience. It certainly resonated with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful message, Rosemary.

    I love this part:
    "On the votive disc we distinguish her
    by her frills, her circlet, her braided hair."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading anything about goddesses.

    ~Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali, I am sorry I cannot reciprocate as I get a message your blog has been removed!!! Hope you get to see this, and that you can sort out the issue quickly.

      Delete

  14. What a wonderful title! Some thoughtful and thought provoking lines in this edifying piece. The close is like an incantation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, your link at the Pantry leads to advice that the page I am looking for does not exist!

      Delete
  15. A wonderful herstory! We have risen, fallen and yet we rise again. I love the historical touches you put into this and the political. So thoughtful and so full of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the name of the poet. I’ll look up the name to find out the country she represents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ah, now i know the origin and reason of this blog's name. "The first author in recorded history,
    what she wrote was poetry."
    How apt!
    yes, the rhymes too. i like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember hearing about on the new Cosmos series. This is such an apt name for your blog. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!