We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

19.8.18

Totems / Gifts


Totems / Gifts

Owl is my mother, Serpent my father,
both are my spirit protectors,
Owl at my left side, Snake at my right.

I was led to this knowledge years ago,
and liked it. 'Yes!' I said.
I said yes. I think that's important.

In some cultures owl
is a harbinger of death. To some 
she means wisdom, to some deception.

I'm a Scorpio woman. I speak truth, see far,
cannot easily be deceived, and move
between life and death in a number of ways.

Serpent is wisdom too – a deep, hidden kind –
and healing, and transmutation. Its venom 
has many uses. The shed skins proclaim rebirth.

I am a Scorpio woman; my still waters
run deep. I work as a healer and psychic medium. 
I've lived many lives in one. I am a witch.

One night, soon after I was told, we drove home late 
down a long road through trees. An owl, ghostly white, 
flew in front of us slowly all the way, like a guide.

We arrived home, she glided off. A diamond-backed snake 
lay sinuously along our verandah, dim in the dark
but visible, departing only after we'd seen.

Wise and winged, wise and serpentine,
transformers, agents of healing or death (the greatest healer?)
I know their presence and show this by many tokens.

(The silver earrings I wear, the figures on my altars....)
The wings of owl, the body of serpent later combined
in a new, overseeing totem: dragon.

More and more the outwardly-powerful people
push back and back on the habitats
of owls and serpents, whales and honeybees, and all.

We who love inner power, finding it hard to wield
(or working too mysteriously) against the onslaughts,
resort now to mythic protectors and to the fire they breathe.

May it be a cleansing flame of burning words,
an energy of passion and reason, fire and light
to wake the Angels and stem the flood! 

What we are given, we must use.
I see us banding together around the globe,
a circle of held hands, a circle of firm stands.

(As the Four Horsemen begin their ride.)



Written for Brendan's Weekend Challenge: Totems at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.


13 comments:

  1. This was magnificent to read. I love that snowy owl, flying before you as a guide. And love the idea of us banding together across the globe, a circle of firm stands. It will be we the people who effect change. Too many leaders have sold their souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Owl is my mother, Serpent my father', both symbols of wisdom. I love the refrain, 'I am a Scorpio woman...', the anecdotal lines and:
    'Wise and winged, wise and serpentine,
    transformers, agents of healing or death'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a deep pleasure to read from one who knows their totems deep in their bones. And still has faith in them, in themselves wearing these spirit masks and animal bodies. Thank you. Ride forth into fire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a most insightful piece. the totem says much about the person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a scorpio woman, we hold hands, I love your totem of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really fascinating back and forth between the two animals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed this very much! Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to wear a turquoise owl necklace a lot, and was surprised when some people were disturbed by it because they felt owls were bad luck. I love them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is stunning, Rosemary. It has power, truth, and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very enjoyable reading, Rosemary. You presented an interesting mating, the owl and the serpent. I'm sure the offspring is SUPER intelligent, like you. Me too for that result though I don't know how to tell who my parents were. I'm not sure what the child looks like, I like owls so I hope it will be a pretty owl that can crawl.

    I too am a Scorpio but I don't know much about that and don't check my daily horoscope. It was interesting that you posted that the coming of the Four Horseman ride. Is it connected with the Revelation of John in the Bible.

    Googling that presents some very interesting reading, there is a correlation according to much published investigations. Non though that I read did real life predictions. Even John hid his in secrecy which hiding is often toted as veiled to prevent it seeming religious and thus avoiding his further persecution besides being exiled. You probably know much more of that than what I picked up in a couple of hours.
    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your attentive reading and thoughtful comments, Jim. Although I did once study the Bible as part of a self-imposed course in comparative religion (in my twenties) there is much of it which I don't now pay great attention to. I use the Four Horsemen as a convenient metaphor for the ills which are sweeping the world and the possibility we'll bring about our own annihilation.

      I am not very well versed in Astrology either, except for character studies as expressed in the Zodiac signs, and I don't have any regard for daily horoscopes.

      Delete
  11. I could nott refrain from commenting. Welll written!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Few things make us stronger than the wisdom (and willingness) to accept what is ours, to be excited about receiving it, to become more ourselves with it... because of it. " What we are given, we must use", if not, it uses us.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!