We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

26.5.19

She




She

White whiskers against black fur – I miss her.
Such an elegant creature. I miss her.

She loved to play, and entice me to play.
I dangled cords, rolled balls for her. I miss her.

She climbed on the back of the old pink couch 
to smooch me in the next chair. I miss her.

Although she was the smallest, slightest cat,
none had such presence, such air. I miss her.

She would seem to dematerialise
then suddenly reappear. I miss her.

At night in bed she'd lie across my thighs
(a lap's a lap anywhere). I miss her.

Not for food but as toys, she chased lizards.
Tough hides (and I) thwarted her. I miss her.

Indoors, I only had to tell her once:
'Forbidden!' – then she'd never. I miss her.

From a sweet little face, her piercing eyes
would hold me in a long stare. I miss her.

Both the house and the yard belonged to her.
She made that perfectly clear. I miss her.

She'd sit on my legs while I watched TV,
watch and listen too, and purr. I miss her.

I, Rosemary (Remembrance) forget none.
Yet let me declare – now, here, I miss her.


Written for Poetry form: Ghazal at dVerse.

14 comments:

  1. A beloved and beautiful creature remembered so fondly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, such a sweet cat. You must miss her indeed. She was very smart, to have to be told only once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to see you really enjoyed your cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a remarkable ghazal and a heartfelt tribute to your cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely lament for a loved cat... those eyes are very very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, classical, and so poetic. You captured her here and told your love story..you weaved her habits and time with you like beautiful ribbons. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so! But – damn! – I just realised I missed the rhyme in the verse about the lizards. I'll have to go back and try to rectify that.

      Delete
  7. She's lovely, with her jet black fur and pearl white whiskers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, well done, very clever and beautifully crafted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely tribute. She was elegant and smart, it seems. I have cats now, and one in particular who I love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, I meant to add that I've very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is heartwarming — the refrain keeps on making it more and more emotive in every couplet. A lovely ghazal, Rosemary! :-)

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!