We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

29.5.19

Ghazal of the Air Element

This old poem is the first ghazal I ever tried to write, when I knew very little about the form. The current Poetry Form prompt at dVerse is the ghazal – which has led me to read so much more about it that I now think I might never again give the name to anything less than the strict, classical genre! However, as the dVerse prompt does include the 'contemporary ghazal', I am curious to see if readers think this one falls into that category successfully. 

[We are told: Contemporary Ghazals explore more subjects, are experimental with the 'what and where' of rhymes and refrains and don’t have a formal signature couplet. However, they do keep to single line couplets, pay attention to cadence and are associational.]




Ghazal of the Air Element

I introduce into our conversation
the subject of my death.

He decides to stop studying
and train as a nurse.

He asks where he can acquire
my poetry book.

His torch goes out; he gets lost
in the middle of a forest.

Walking through the bush
he blisters his toe.

Here at home I stub my toe and
burn my arm, which blisters.

Love oh love oh careless love …
all love is in this one.

My soul is crying and crying
the pain of my joy.

Oh darling, my darling
time doesn't stand still.

I sing on the wind and arrange
to meet you later.

I want that you should live
a fine life and strong.


(Written 2007)



14 comments:

  1. This is SO INCREDIBLY LOVELY. Poignant, human, beautiful. I especially love "My soul is crying and crying the pain of my joy." WOW! You knocked this one out of the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sherry. Perhaps it doesn't matter if it works as a ghazal, so long as it works as a poem. :)

      Delete
  2. I think it captures the way thoughts wander, which is what I've decided is the point of the ghazal. Each couplet is a piece of the puzzle and they are constantly rearranging themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. That is what I was trying for at the time.

      Delete
  3. "Love oh love oh careless love …
    all love is in this one." All else fades in comparison. Beautiful line within a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure about the idea of a ghazal without rhyme refrain or rhythm either, but this is successful as a poem, as Kerfe says, the fragments that connect is the spirit of the ghazal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the contemporary take on the form. English just doesn't have the same lilt and rhythm as Persian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I expect that's a problem with all translations, as well as with trying to adopt a form that very much belongs to its language of origin (e.g. haiku, also).

      Delete
  6. Fabulous poetry, Rosemary, ghazal or not! A light take on a serious subject of passing the torch :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you let one thought leap from one couplet to the next tying it all together to a narrative...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting how the subject of mortality takes our mind in so many directions! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know little about the ghazal, aside from the handful of poems I've experimented with. But I do know that this is artistry.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!