We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

1.6.19

The Watcher [Prose]


A new tiny little story of 313 words for From the Point of View of Trees (Telling Tales with Magaly Guerrero: a Pantry of Prose, #4, at Poets United).


The Watcher

We who stay where we grow are aware of more than you imagine, you who move around. Our roots and branches connect us far through earth and sky. We gather information. We receive messages. We bear witness. 

She in this house is responsible for me. She failed to pull out one tiny weed. When she realised I was becoming a tree, she turned a blind eye. I grew fast and tall. She loves me, and lets me stay. I watch the looks she gives me, of pleasure and pride. 

I watch her brother too, in a far city. He used to visit her here. Knowing his energy signature, I could track it back to his home. Now he is sick and doesn't go out. I observe him by joining the consciousness of the blue gum outside his window. I also observe her, here, and see that she grieves and fears. 

One day a small dog arrives – young and bouncy, and very pleased to be here. I recognise him; he's been here before. It's her brother's dog, Pepito, nicknamed Peppy. This dog regards the whole world as delightful, and everyone as a friend. But she cries as she cuddles him. Peppy is here because her brother can't look after him any more. 

We like being alive, we trees. We don't know what lies beyond, any more than you do. But we sense the in-between, where many kinds of spirits hover, including those who have recently died. So when her brother arrives to look at her and his dog, I perceive that he is no longer alive bodily. I can also tell that looking at them makes his spirit happy – even though she is crying. 

He squeezes her shoulder. She doesn't appear to see him, but she must feel something. She calms. The little dog wags his tail. 

The man vanishes.

I stand guard.






21 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS, I love this story so much. I adore it, in fact. I love his happiness seeing his little dog with his sister. I love the Tree Being very much. Mine was all doom and gloom, now i wish i had written a sweet one like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely and powerful twist, to have the tree aware of the supernatural! I love how that moves the story to its marvelous conclusion. I believe the trees are conscious. I'd like to believe--as you can see from my story, too--that they care about us. Thank you for your generous comment on my story. Writing this one lifted my mood from the poem, as if I had an invisible hand on my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one gave me the sweetest of chills, made me look towards the dragon's blood plant I planted the day my little brother said goodbye. As you might suspect, I always talk to that plant when I'm thinking about him and I'm in the room. The plant is cheery and often moody like him. I wonder how many time it has watched my bother squeeze my shoulder (and me feel it).

    Love this piece, both the sadness and the joy... and the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a motherly tree and a connector between the two worlds. The apprehension, 'We like being alive, we trees. We don't know what lies beyond,' is so stirring! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an enchanting story, Rosemary, and I love the small dog and the guardian tree. The opening paragraph resonated with me, about trees being more aware because they stay where they grow, and ow roots and branches connect them, help them gather information and receive messages, and spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So moving, Rosemary. I believe trees bear witness, and perceptive of those in-between with spirits hovering. I like and respect this kind of watcher; he is solid and full of empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deliciously, magically real. I so love reading these sort of things by you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a delight to read on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I like the image of the tree standing guard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Old Egg I don't cry much but tears certainly filled my eyes when I read this. What an unbelievably beautiful tale this is and I am quite sure it must be true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful storytelling! As I mentioned in my comment on Susan's post: There should be empathy between all living things. Alas, that appears to be beyond the capacity of many morals … hence, the environmental mess, we find ourselves in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wonderful Rosemary! Uplifting! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe every single word of this tree. Every nuance, every emotion, every observation
    Thanks for dropping by to read my tree article

    Much🖤🌲🖤🌴🖤🌳🖤love

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing story you have told Rosemary! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful story! The voice of the tree is rendered so gently I can almost hear it swaying. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful story... there is a tradition of family trees in Scandinavia... a tree that lives on by the farm over generations.... i'm sure this tree has such a spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful story, kept me involved till the last word, how grand are the trees how caring is nature

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love this. I had such a troubled childhood, but the trees were my comfort. I know they heard and felt every word. The last time I was on my parents place before it was sold I suffered the most horrible episode of grief. Maybe the trees wanted me to feel it, because it was really a powerful bridge to healing parts of me I'd never been able to reach.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really like the idea of the trees as Watchers. Oh the stories they might tell...much like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captivated me from the very beginning ... I am in awe of the magic woven here within these carefully considered and soul full words. Thank you. One of my most favourite pieces so far xx

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!