We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

27.6.19

A Tale of Folderol and Bric-a-brac

At 'imaginary garden with real toads' just now, Fireblossom would have us Get Listed. She asked us to use three or more words from her list, and hopefully include one in the title. But they were such good words, I went overboard, used the lot, put two in the title, and added a few more good ones of my own. It was fun!


A Tale of Folderol and Bric-a-brac


It was an instantaneous episode of derring-do, 
momentary, but lucid – no need for you
to pontificate, all smug, as if I were a green,
wet-behind-the ears novice, or a slipshod
unvisionary, striving-in-vain Ms Plod.

Just because I yelled and did that fist-pump, 
and followed it with a twirl and a hip bump 
(over-enthusiastic by only the merest smidgen)
or was less than demure brandishing my lollipop –
how was I to know some idiot’d seize a photo-op?

And now you’re carrying on, waxing operatic!
I think your turn of phrase is unduly dramatic,
making a bit of harmless fun sound obscene.
So my bum wobbled like blancmange? So the snooker
table stopped play and they eyed me like a hooker?

So what if all the ornaments fell off the shelf?
I didn’t do it on purpose, much less by myself.
It was only the hokey-pokey when all’s said and done.
You’re rendering it a major catastrophe.
I say, better be a bit of clown than to atrophy!


Here is the list:
folderol, bric-a-brac, instantaneous, momentary, lucid, derring-do, pontificate, green, smug, photo-op, slipshod, hokey pokey, fist pump, demure, lollipop, snooker, rendering, blancmange, smidgen, operatic

23 comments:

  1. This is absolutely marvellous, Rosemary! You really rocked (and rolled) this challenge. The rhymes and meter are truly masterful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. This was fun! Love the rhyme and “wobbled like blancmange”. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun write!! I could just imagine myself and a friend carrying on, acting silly, and getting all kinds of looks. And who cares, because we're just having fun in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done! Applause, applause! You did this so well. I am grinning with delight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell it to the judge, Toots! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say overboard, Rosemary. You did great. I didn't count how many words you used but it was way more than half.
      I added a second senyru (fairly succinct also) .
      And have you ever made blancmange? There are several recipes on-line. Mrs. Jim has not but it seems fairly easy. And ends up kind of like our Mexican flan.
      ..

      Delete
    2. Yes, Jim, like Toni I used to make blancmange when I was a kid – and indeed went on to feed it to my own children for a while. It has gone out of fashion now, it seems.

      I used every word!

      Delete
    3. I think I got manterrupted. Everyone got a reply but poor pitiful me. :-P

      Delete
    4. Well that's not fair. Yours was the absolutely best comment! I've been chortling over it ever since. (But I did say thank you for the prompt, over at the Garden.) Now I'd better go and reply to Margaret as well, whom I also missed, or she'll be feeling all the more left out.

      Delete
  6. Wobbling like a blancmage....that was one of the first things I learned to cook when I was five. Your rhymes are mistressful my dear twin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And, as I have just told Jim, I too learned to make blancmange when I was a child – though not quite so young; maybe seven.

      Delete
  7. Yes, avoid atrophy like the devil for the most important thing in life is to live it your own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a bit surprised you think this way, Robin!

      Delete
  8. I've never even heard of blancmange until now. She's such a hep silly character. I really like that you even referred to 'derring do' , a nicely anachronistic term

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is marvelous Rosemary. Put a chuckle in my heart, and wuite a vidion in my head... :-)

      Delete
  9. Yeah this just rolls right along, right off the tongue even with all those wild words. I think wobbling like blancmange is far more poetic than twerking LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha.. this was such fun use of the word.. the blancmange bum especially...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is hilarious, and a brilliant use of all the words. I am still grinning.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!