We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

22.1.20

Cave Dweller

Cave Dweller

Light frightens her, it seems.
It must be that –
how she cowers and shrieks
when exposed to illumination.
What else
could so dispose her
then to attack?

I don’t know, even so,
if what she hates and fears
is what she sees outside
when the light
shines to reveal ...
or the thought
of herself being seen.

Either way,
she‘d stay in darkness
rather than face the bright.
I have no energy left
to rescue the reluctant,
nor even leave a sign.
I merely fend her off.

The bold roses
and shining leaves,
the trees against the sky –
and the sky! –
think how much she misses.
But, formed by lowered lids,
clouds are in her eyes.


Shared at Rommy’s ‘Weekly Scribblings: New Tricks’ at Poets and Storytellers United 

12 comments:

  1. That is the sad part of having pets, their short lives isn't it? But I don't regret any pet my wife and I had over the last 50-60 years as their love for us was so sincere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I wasn't writing about a pet. This 'dog' who wouldn't learn was a person I had in mind.

      Delete
  2. Debilitating fear like that is a terrible thing. I have to agree that sometimes it's not worth trying to help someone go outside, when all you have the bruises and scratches from past attempts to show for it. I might be the fool that keeps trying every now and again though, but from a safer distance away, and not making it a high priority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor critter, modern ways have sapped her and the defenders' energies away. Where is help now?
    There is a sadsadn in the land.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely not a day bird, that one. Happy Wednesday Rosemary

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once visited someone while in Germany. She hated it there. Yet, she had never left the military base in which she lived. She seemed depressed and unwilling to change her view, to see Europe.

    Your poem reminded me of her as well as the denial that sometimes keeps us from accepting truth and seeing light.

    Loved your poem. So insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivid images...

    compelling, and makes one ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one can force self-closed eyes to see. Not even if we peel their lids open. Everyone just ends up exhausted and frustrated, and the eyeballs in question will still see nothing (that they haven't chosen to see).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sad how someone can wrap themselves up and close off from the world. It seems self inflicted but maybe circumstances being what they are... I hope she would see the sun again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I imagine your poem might mean different things to different people, Rosemary. I see someone traumatised by terrible events. The final stanza is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes the reluctant need not be paid attention

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find fears cannot easily be understood if at all.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!