We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

2.1.20

Coming Across Her Unexpectedly

Coming Across Her Unexpectedly

A cloud of white hair
surrounds her smiling face.
She’s in a garden,
leaning on a big wooden plant box
under a bushy hibiscus
flowering in soft purple.
What is she looking
so very pleased about?
Life in general? The sunny day?
Or the person holding the camera?

I’m looking at my Aunty Kate
(Kathleen) – a favourite aunt

deceased two decades now
but I know that face:
the family nose, the way
the happy grin plumps out the cheeks.
Instantly familiar, too,
how she holds her solid body
square to the viewer,
uncompromising even when relaxed.

Typical Katy, to look so delighted –
whether at the garden, the day,
the photographer, or life itself.
She didn’t enjoy her ageing though,
after she got so ill. (I’m luckier there.)
I’d rather remember her kindness,
her practical wisdom, the love of poetry
we shared. (She left me her poetry books.
Single and childless, she treasured
all her nieces and nephews individually.)

Unlike her, though, surely,
to wear her glasses in a photo?
(Whereas I wear mine all the time.)
And that pendant, a silver dragon:
incongruous choice, I must say,
for such a quiet dresser – let alone 

the purple and yellow tie-dye. 
So, after all, not in every respect
the dear aunty I knew. (I do know
it’s my son I’m smiling at in this photo.)



Written for the final (sob) prompt, Play It Again, at 'imaginary garden with real toads', specifically for Kim's Portraiture prompt.












16 comments:

  1. Aunty Kate. I would have enjoyed knowing her. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did. (Smile.)
      Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  2. This is a most touching portrait, and I can sense the connection between you and her, even though she has passed away. Thank you for writing to the final RT prompt, Rosemary. You always bloomed brightly in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerry. I do love to spend time in beautiful gardens!

      Delete
  3. Sigh ... This melts my heart, Rosemary!! ❤️ And you look absolutely stunning!! 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sanaa. I was very fond of my aunty. It's not a bad fate, to end up looking so like her.

      Delete
  4. Ah, I adore this portrait. And I adore you, Rosemary. I'm so glad we were brought together in the Garden! See you round the corner, with your glasses on, and some roses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, now you've made me go all gooey! I'm very glad of it too, Marian, and will see you for sure.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful portrait... I mostly love the part you realize you didn't really know... even with those closest to us there are secrets hidden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was trying to do a slow reveal for the reader, not to identify too soon whose photo I'm actually looking at. (I'm sure Katy would have had her secrets, but I promise you she never wore these clothes or anything like them.)

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, a final tweak, to finish the last line with three words I previously removed. After all they must be needed to make things perfectly clear at the end. Thank you for misunderstanding! (Grin.)

      Delete
    3. And maybe another small change as well for the same reason, turning 'quite' into 'in every respect'.

      Delete
  6. My favorite part about this poem is that we get to smile through the words, we get to see the images so clearly, and then... we come to the photo and our eyes get to enjoy what our hearts had already constructed. It feels like being gifted with a scent we've only imagined for years.

    And I love, love, love that dress (and smile).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely photo of you. Your words bring tears yet I know I will see your lovely smile as I travel a fingertip world of connection. So blessed to have met you in the garden... We once were toads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool knowing you've inherited your beloved aunt's charming smile as well as her joy. Sounds like she was a fun person. Thank you for sharing a bit about her with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess she was. I thought of her more as someone I could always turn to.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!