We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

2.2.20

In the Dystopia

In the Dystopia

In the dystopia, our houses
are scooped out underground.
We think it makes them fire-safe,
but no-one knows quite how to solve
the problem of where our air comes in –
when the air is falling ash.
And then there’s the question
of what might happen
to a house underground in a flood.

In the dystopia, when it began,
I wanted to wait for you –
but your legs were twisting as they burned
and you couldn’t keep up. The trees fell
to block your path, and I didn’t even know.
I was running. I’m still running.

In the dystopia, we’re going to need hope.
We can die out – even from despair.
Luckily, the day-to-day living
eats up our time and attention
with its many small accommodations.
Just the simple foraging for food
takes effort, and the calculations
about avoiding gas pockets
or the choking remnants of smoke
in the lingering fires ... and the fires!

They can turn suddenly, the fires,
appearing to chase whatever still lives
as if they had volition. We can’t
second-guess their vagaries, but we try.
Not as if we can’t see them coming!
We have become faster runners,
those of us not too starved and exhausted.
(Those of us distant enough to have time to run.)

In the dystopia, there’s little strength to spare
for conversation, or the banding together
in tribes — yet we do huddle, when we can,
in small, almost-silent clusters. We’ve lost
the will for relationship. Yet still
we cuddle our children, those that survived.

In the dystopia, the children,
not knowing a different way,
still exclaim at a struggling flower
or a stray bird — which we adults, now,
see merely as food. The children
have sometimes been heard singing.
They learnt it all by themselves.
Perhaps it’s natural for humans
to make those happy noises
when we haven’t been wrung dry.

In the dystopia, we don’t know
who or what is over the next hill,
let alone in any other countries.
We don’t know if there are
any other countries. We only know
that, near the coast, mountainous waves
came and quenched the fires there.
But we can’t live near a coast
of such frequent tsunamis,
or the crocodiles closer inland
and very much further south.

In the dystopia
no-one stops to write poems.
(Although ...
some of the children....)



Written for Brendan's earthweal Open Link Weekend #5, where he invites us to turn in our writing from 'wrongness' to Renewal.  I tried, I really did....  Well, there is a little suggestion there. I hope that – in all contexts – it might be enough.

Also sharing with Writers' Pantry #5 at Poets and Storytellers United, where Magaly talks about light at the end of a tunnel – a real, practical, in-the-world, here-and-now light.

26 comments:

  1. "Luckily, the day-to-day living
    eats up our time and attention
    with its many small accommodations."
    One bright spot in the whole morass--well, yes, thank the Goddess for the children--and that is tongue in cheek irony! This narrative would make a brilliant dystopian novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing poem about a sad place which rings true to me with these increasing fires and so much more. Thanks for the daily distractions and for all thanks for the children who are a bacon of hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder8. Rosemary. And so sad for all Nature. We can probably cope with technology but let's help the less fortunate critters , all of them.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I feel this one... every burn, every run, every unwritten poem and unsung song. Dystopia is here and now and still, no one is listening. This poem is a cry for help, no, it is a helpless cry of a wounded world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit that I am drawn to a dystopian landscape in art of fiction, but one this factual has my hair standing on end. Recent events have propelled us in to the future of flood, fire and famine, as it has been foretold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gave us a bleak dystopia but then, in the end, you gave us hope. Sometimes, I think that world is coming but I hope not, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like crying my heart out after reading the lines. All we can say, in your words, "...we’re going to need hope." Amidst all these our ears still yearn for those, "happy noises". May they take the rei(g)n.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dreaded dystopia is surely already here. I watched Z for Zacharia last night, and I hope that Mother Earth has a pocket in her robe that is safe from the disasters that humans have caused. I couldn’t live underground – I hate travelling on the underground as it is. I would be constantly worried about:
    ‘the problem of where our air comes in –
    when the air is falling ash.
    And then there’s the question
    of what might happen
    to a house underground in a flood.’
    You included some shocking imagery in this poem, Rosemary, which is very effective. My stomach churned when I read:
    ‘…your legs were twisting as they burned
    and you couldn’t keep up. The trees fell
    to block your path, and I didn’t even know.’
    I like the little glimmer of hope in the lines:
    ‘Luckily, the day-to-day living
    eats up our time and attention
    with its many small accommodations’
    and
    ‘In the dystopia, the children,
    not knowing a different way,
    still exclaim at a struggling flower
    or a stray bird — which we adults, now,
    see merely as food. The children
    have sometimes been heard singing.
    They learnt it all by themselves.
    Perhaps it’s natural for humans
    to make those happy noises
    when we haven’t been wrung dry.’
    I would hope that there would still be poems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be a bleak dystopia if our children lost the will to write - Such an epic poem

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe this reads as science fiction -- future fiction, for sure -- but as one who is on the ground on the Australian continent, these thoughts are shadowed by the imprint of current realties on a grander, very probable scale. The human species will fight hard to survive -- its smart and has plenty tools -- but to survive in that? Its like keeping an old person alive on pharmaceuticals for 20 years longer -- you can, but why? For what? So looking around for renewal there begs the question why. I didn't find many answers here, but isn't that the point? This IS renewal in what, 20, 30 years. We do so little to change the present, so accept renewal on this scale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...could happen.

    I have hope that we won't see this future...a slim one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An overwhelming poem--each disaster washes through like a nightmare realized, except for the slight hope offered. The numbness in the face of hope was vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW the dystopian race so well documented
    Happy Sunday Rosemary

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is by far the most powerful dystopian poem I have ever read, Rosemary! My heart pounded wildly as I read these lines: "We’ve lost the will for relationship. Yet still we cuddle our children, those that survived."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love "in the dystopia
    no-one stops to write poems. Nowhere feels safe, so well pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a really affecting poem, Rosemary. The bleakness of the dystopia is so vividly captured. And it is scary because it rings true to all that is going on in the world right now. I certainly agree with the speaker "we’re going to need hope."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! Your dystopia left me in breathless despair! Your words understandably spring from the current tragedies in your part of the world. A scholarly write.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This truly has the essence of dystopia in its words and progressions, of a society gone so far wrong it has engineered its own destruction. The breathless nature of the runner pushed to his/her extreme, sides heaving, legs cramped, rises from the words and carries them forward.I think it is one of the more honest poems I've read, as well as stating so eloquently how dire our condition has become. That second stanza is absolutely perfect. And yes, I do feel that with the children, symbols of renewal in themselves, there is the possibility of hope, and a reason to carry on, if only to try to teach them a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You wrote about a frightening scenario, but I really like the idea of the children still teaching themselves to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many comments have been written already. My reaction to your poem is one of sadness. I try to keep hope alive, but some days are too difficult to maintain a positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was in that state of mind that this poem was written, Myrna. When I looked for something to write, that's what was there: the truth of my feelings / opinions after living through 4 months of widespread blazes too close for comfort. And I fear that many people, even here, still don't really see.

      Delete
  21. I love the title and premise. I was enthralled. The line about the children and the birds and flowers that the adults on see as food. The little bit of hope at the end, or at least song and poem.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A landscape out of a Cormac McCarthy novel or even Stephen King's, The Stand, except it's reality or close to it...a powerful and ambitious poem...JIM

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how I wish this was fiction. The pain in your poem bleeds right into my heart. I too like there are sprinkles of hope. I truly fear for the young who must live in the world those who went before them destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What I like about this poem is the hope that the children will be able to solve the problems of existence in the future as the adults plans are merely to last the day. Being an oldy I am beginning to feel this way as greed is the all powerful guide now.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!