We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

6.5.20

Bonding with a Stranger

Bonding with a Stranger

I waited until the young woman delivering my groceries was back at the bottom of my front steps, a safe distance away, before opening my door to call out a thank you. 

‘It’s a great help,’ I said. Telling me she was glad, she looked up with a smile, then surprised me by bringing her hands together and bowing her head as she said,

‘Merry meet.’ 

Taken aback, I stammered out the same. She smiled more widely.

‘Happy Halloween!’ (which it was, in this Hemisphere, and even the exact rather than the official date). ‘Blessed be.’

I returned the greeting more confidently this time, but was still puzzled.

‘So how do you know this about me?’

‘You’re wearing the pentacle.’ With an even broader grin: ‘You can’t hide from your people.’ 

‘Oh of course,’ I said, my hand going to my throat.

I wear it all the time, even in bed, where I shorten the adjustable cord so it can’t get tangled while I sleep. The delivery was early, I was still in my pyjamas, which revealed the silver pendant at my neck – so much part of me I forget it’s there; and not tucked under a t-shirt, hidden, as it sometimes is. 

‘I’m very glad to meet my people,’ I said, smiling back.

She left with a cheery wave.

‘See you next time.’

‘I hope so.’


a greeting
eases isolation
we connect




















Pentacle: a 5-pointed star (pentagram) within a circle; often worn by Pagans. Frequently used to represent the element of Earth, it can also be seen to represent all the elements.

I'm sharing this piece, a couple of months after the event, with Writers' Pantry #27: We're Halfway There! at Poets and Storytellers United.

36 comments:

  1. I love this!💝 It's a beautiful feeling to bond with a stranger and have them admire us. That is a lovely pentacle 🥰 which I believe is usually made of parchment, paper, cloth, or metal and used in magical evocation. I read that it symbolizes the elements of the earth and would love to know more about it!👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is made of silver. Those that are used as jewellery usually are, though I have also seen them in gold, pewter and nickel.

      Delete
  2. We see ourselves more clearly sometimes through the eyes of strangers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when we see each other, it is nice to make a connection.

      Delete
  3. We should never be afraid of being friendly with others for I am sure we would sense those that were too forward or inquiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I only waited for 'a safe distance' because of the pandemic.

      Delete
  4. Always nice to bump into someone who is a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and there are many ways of such kinship. This was one. Poetry is another.

      Delete
  5. A magical anecdotal haibun, Rosemary. I love the way you set the scene with the simple phrase ‘a safe distance away’, which we all know so well now, and the ease with which you retold the conversation. The haiku sums it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, for this kind and detailed comment.

      Delete
  6. Oh if only we could all recognize that same sameness, experience the same bonding, regardless of our dress or our jewelry. Still, you capture that human moment beautifully here, Rosemary. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would indeed be great! Particularly as it is there to be recognised, if only we would.

      Delete
  7. I always smile too when I see that pentacle on someone. Mine is a bit more stealthy (it's hidden in the heart of a butterfly) but I love it when that moment of recognition comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have several. My stealthiest one looks like a flower.

      Delete
  8. i loved this. it has a message for not just your kind, Rosemary but for all others. always nice to connect or meet up with your kind at some point in life. Great write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wondered if it was too personal to interest others. So glad you liked it, thereby scotching my fears.

      Delete
  9. What a heart-warming tale, and the haiku describes it beautifully. The isolation of the pandemic tends to make us appreciate the human contact we once took for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was an unexpected smile this morning. The unexpected connection just sparkled in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have made you smile. Your comment makes me smile!

      Delete
  11. A lovely exchange. It's good to be seen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely. Enjoyed your haibun

    Happy Sunday

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm smiling from ear to ear. I love that feeling, the one that fills the heart with warmth and the face with smiles when we run into a member of our tribe. It always feels like coming home, even if for just a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Intriguing...and wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful meeting! It was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A connection made at an unexpected time and place. It can happen even in our pajamas!? Cheers, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely chance meeting and acknowledgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed. Those are the little things that warm the heart. (Or not so little. *Smile.*)

      Delete
  18. Berea College is associated with the Unitarian church. I'm not a Unitarian nor a Wiccan but I did appreciate that denomination's pentacle-friendliness. They seemed to see what I'd observed at the Seventh-Day Adventist college, that my ex-Adventist pentacle-wearing friend was a decent person looking for things that Christianity ought to have but had seemed to lack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed with many Christian friends who are open-minded enough to understand that. As for me, it isn't Christ I object to (I actually love Jesus and his teachings) but churchiness, for want of a better word. I like what little I know of the Unitarian Church so much that my second husband and I were married in one – long before I recognised myself as Pagan.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!