We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

6.5.20

Romance Through COVID-19

Romance Through COVID-19

Now I can only dream of you.
Kisses are not allowed. 

We can’t even be within 
touching distance. This 
may go on for months. Alone, 
isolated, I drift in dream-space.

We whirl away down empty streets,
receding rapidly further from each other.
Then I turn a corner and find myself 
face to face with you again, up close.

Our masks become roses; our lips meet
softly; we refrain from breathing....


https://i0.wp.com/noqreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/NY-City-Health-Departments-advice-YOU-are-your-safest-sex-partner-.jpg?fit=1000%2C500&ssl=1











 




Written for Weekly Scribblings #18: Art (and turmoil, it seems) Begets Art at Poets and Storytellers United, where we are invited to respond to pandemic-inspired street art.

13 comments:

  1. Jinx! We chose the same image, Rosemary! It must be so hard for lovers kept apart by this wicked virus. I love the dream sequence in your poem, so romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful that we humans can dream. Lovely poem. Happy you dropped by my blog today Rosemary

    Much💜🌎💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last few month have been quite strange with our families deliberate decision not to gather together unless it was essential. I was amazed that so many people when outside didn't take precautions, or keep their distance or even use hand sanitiser when it was offered. When I did, other people tended too look at me as though I was infectious! It's a funny world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand your feelings, Robin. I wear my mask when I go walking in the woods (which are not as deserted as they used to be before the virus). I walk away from people when I see them getting too close. And yep, they look at me like I'm the one doing something wrong.

      Delete
  4. It has got to be so hard for people isolated from the one they love. I count my blessings every morning as my husband and I share our morning routine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have my heart with this poem, Rosemary!!💘 I so love the closing image! Will be back for several more readings 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosemary, I love the first couplet so much. There is a hint of playfulness and seriousness dancing through the lines, which feels so natural to the times. The whole poem makes me think of how absolutely important things like an active imagination, communication, and visualization can be in our current situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my heart is racing now .... great use of the street art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "We refrain from breathing" takes my breath away. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These times must be very difficult for those in the midst of a romantic interlude. No doubt enforced separation will test some romances. You presented the dilemma skillfully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i loved the last lines.

    beautifully written.

    best regards,

    Hamokine Poet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you took a beautiful turn in this. Hope, we so need it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Young lovers’ hearts ache when they cannot be close. Brings back some heart-racing moments for me.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!