We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

26.10.20

Worried Clocks Carry the Dream

Worried Clocks Carry the Dream


Worried clocks carry the dream within my body,

my body defiant, disbelieving the dream –

the dream someone else’s possibility, ending you.

You ask that person: Be the mother that is under, a gift. 


A gift! Accept!

Accept our life start, that is unavoidable –

unavoidably working towards wanting,

wanting a little window into connection, focus.


Focus on the fullness to be true; further open.

Further open a kind allow.

Allow whispering; process challenge.


Challenge this insight happening,

happening into the pleasure.

Pleasure sending sensations, wonder, tangled endings.

Tangled endings just beautiful vibrations.


Vibrations, harnessing, feel like the ocean –

the ocean to bring. Begin!

Begin with their beauty.




I wrote this for my own prompt, Weekly Scribblings #43: Found Poems and Erasures, at Poets and Storytellers United. I am quite good at other kinds of found poems, not so good at erasures, so I thought that's what I should try. Hmmm, perhaps not!  I really don't think I have the knack. (But then, I admit I didn't spend a serious amount of time on it. I didn't even actually erase the text surrounding the words I chose.) I only got it to make some kind of almost-sense by repeating the one or two words at the end of every line as the beginning of the next line. Below are the source materials: pages from a give-away New Agey magazine which is basically advertising various practitioners. The first attempt didn't take me very far, so I turned to another page and did some more.

Interestingly enough, what this poem does is allow me a window into my own subconscious. Recently I've been thinking about my relationship with my mother – it was her birthday the other day – wishing it had been easier, closer. As a child, I thought her very beautiful but didn't find her warm and cuddly. I felt she was always trying to make me conform, be something I wasn't. I've come to think I may have misunderstood her, and wish I could go back and make it all different. I can find these threads in the poem, so one day I might, if I choose, rewrite it to be more readily understandable to others.


































26 comments:

  1. "working towards wanting,

    wanting a little window into connection"

    That is so beautiful. And so sad that some people are not naturally drawn to those connections. It's great when they realize what is missing and do work towards that wanting though. I can only imagine your mother learning from her mother the coolness. Thank you for showing your process, as I am attempting my first erasure poem, and it is very, very short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa.
      No, my dear Nana, my Mum's mother, was warm, cuddly and spontaneous. One thing that occurred was that Mum had me in the days when medical men forbade young mothers from breast-feeding on demand. So some natural binding failed to happen on both sides.

      Delete
    2. Ha, I meant 'natural bonding' – but 'binding' works too.

      Delete
  2. A inspired poem, Rosemary, and I understand why you pushed yourself to try an erasure – I prefer other kinds of found poems too. I not only enjoyed the poem, but also the background notes about you and your mother, which helped me to understand the poem better. I especially love the ‘worried clocks’ of the title and first line, and ‘wanting a little window into connection’, something I felt with my own mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise my own theme until after I'd written this – but of course something was going on subconsciously to have me choose those particular words and phrases.

      Delete
  3. Each one of us are different. My brother and I couldn't get on yet an uncle of mine just three years older than me were very close for most of our lives even staying in contact until earlier this year when were still in Facebook contact from the other side of the world until his death at 87.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, family connections can be funny things. Good if any relative becomes also a friend, I think. My niece (daughter of my step-sister, no blood relation) and I are good pals, and have this little joke together: 'Water's thicker than blood.' But actually I'm thick with some of my blood rellies too.

      Delete
  4. What makes this so good is your illustrations of the extracted phrases you have used. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This technique isn't my strong suit either, Rosemary. I went much simpler. But your work, here, inspires me to pay more attention to the possibilities. Thanks for prompting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo
    An excellent poem wrought
    Stay safe

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words and thoughts prompted me to sit still right here at my desk and computer .... really give deep thought to my childhood, to the relationship with my mother and to my father. That was more than an hour ago, I am still pondering. What good writing is all about, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for telling me. But I think you must have needed my note as well to set you on that exploration. It encourages me to think it would be good to rewrite the poem with a bit more clarity (yet without sacrificing the fortuitous metaphors etc.).

      Delete
  8. I think that you got the most important thing one can get out of erasures: glimpses of what lurks inside. I've often noticed that I've skipped words/phrases that would read so very poetic, in favor of some that sound less so. But when I look at the source again, I noticed that the supposedly more poetic words would not have done the job... of seeing and showing what was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Magaly. An interesting observation, from the wisdom of your greater experience with this procedure. It encourages me not to give up on attempting erasures.

      Delete
  9. This is really GREAT, Rosemary. You being the prompter had the monkey on your back to do a good job. You did just that. Thank you for circling everything. I started but bed time beckoned I did black our the kids' names already this morning and put up the picture sans student names.
    Let's do this again sometime. I could on my own, of course.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely could on your own! You're so good at it. I'm glad you had fun, and I'm glad you liked mine.

      Delete
  10. This is marvelous, Rosemary. Such patience and skill to create your wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found poetry can be tricky, but I think you conveyed a feeling of transformation and growth with the words you found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad of that. I guess there is a sort of progression.

      Delete
  12. I really like this, Rosemary. I love the repetition of the end words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, thank you. I was pretty pleased with myself for thinking of that.

      Delete
  13. An interesting poem but I think your comments about the relationship with your mother and that this poem captured elements of it - to go back and write THAT poem is what intrigues me. Exercises like this can lead to something really good!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!