We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

1.11.20

Poem for Beltane Night

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Poem for Beltane Night


This Beltane is marked by storms.

Much later, all quieted, I go out

to find the full moon high behind trees –

blue moon this month – and next to her,

clear, close as a lover, Mars.


This night I have no lover of my own 

to help me celebrate. Even the cats are all gone

who used to come with me at midnight

into the circle of my patch of earth, my garden 

and my sacred trees, to greet the moon.


Yet the whole earth pulses with love

in this time of alive silence: a throb beyond

our ears to hear, yet not beyond our feeling.

The street, empty of people, is full 

of presences co-existing, just out of sight.


They come in peace. I greet them so.

Somewhere else, there is fighting,

there is pain, there is death, there is grief.

Tomorrow I may have to face them,

those conditions, but tonight –


I stand in love. My heart embraces the Universe 

as my hand blows a kiss to the moon.

Inside, I pour a nip of ginger wine.

I write a poem for Beltane. (Poetry as fertility.)

Pieces of dark chocolate melt in my mouth.



 

Photo © Roxanne Robins 2020, used with permission (for this use only).

 

Sharing with Writers' Pantry #44 at Poets and Storytellers United.

33 comments:

  1. How beautifully written this is, albeit sad but we can as you indicate live our lives separate from all crises and pain in life;, love what we have always loved and eat chocolate to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mysterious. I love the sensation from your words, and Beltane. Nothing does classic spooky better than a Celtic reference. It's good to be armed with chocolate before facing life's woes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poignant and beautiful, Rosemary. I love the progression from ‘blue moon this month – and next to her, / clear, close as a lover, Mars’ to ‘This night I have no lover of my own / to help me celebrate. Even the cats are all gone’, which gave me heartache – I want to join you looking up at the blue moon and eating dark chocolate - and bring my cats with me. I love the phrase ‘alive silence: a throb beyond our ears’ and the thought that a ‘street, empty of people, is full of presences co-existing, just out of sight’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim, I'm glad you enjoyed it and entered into the spirit of it..

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful celebration of night, magic and life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely, and wistful poem. it seems to speak of loneliness, but then again maybe not because the narrator is one with the universe, comfortable with the earth and the moon, and all those that live in the night.
    yes, what a lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful solitary celebration
    Happy Sunday

    Much💙love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillena. Feasting and poetry aren't bad ways to celebrate!

      Delete
  7. It was Samhain for me last night, but I also had my moment of profound peace and rightness of feeling, which was so welcome (and needed) as I steel myself for the week to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had that! It's so good to touch base with that core and connection.

      Delete
  8. A beautiful and magical celebration. I like silence and space the night offers. You've transported me with your piece to feel the love that makes the whole earth pulsate. Great write!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so evocative, Rosemary. We all need to stand in our quiet place and practice gratitude for what life offers (and allow ourselves a bit of nostalgia for the times that used to be as we travel life's journey.) Good write!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pain and destruction and death can't really claim us, if we remember to treasure what matters whenever we can. I love this.

    Again, happiest Beltane, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's helpful to have seasonal festivals and full moon observances to punctuate our years, and remind us what matters.

      Delete
  11. I am standing with you, wine and chocolate in hand, to celebrate the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amidst all the tension, this poem is a beautiful reminder that peace also remains in the world and wants to gather to us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything can be made into ritual with the right intention. It's within us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, you express my sentiments that i share with these gathering of words. so many and more often in my later years is my choice of solitude intermeshed with a bit of loneliness but i embrace it. i listen to the whispers of wisdom the moon has to offer me and, too, the silence of sleep of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment! I'm glad to know you share this kind of experience.

      Delete
  15. Rosemary, this is pulsating with pure unadulterated energy, positivism, love, hope!!!! Thank you for writing it and cheers, lifting my glass of Shiraz.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When we treasure the gifts we've been given darkness can't rob us of them. In fact it often in darkness our blessings come to us brightest. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Somewhere else, there is fighting,
    there is pain, there is death, there is grief.
    Tomorrow I may have to face them,
    those conditions, but tonight – ... I stand in love"

    Such a lovely verse, the ideal toast. Thanx for this late-night tale, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!