We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

25.11.20

My Father Gave Me Gardens

My Father Gave Me Gardens

I see him squatting, fingers in the dirt, 

one hand holding a small trowel, 

paused to look up at me, smiling –

even in our unhappiest times,

with Wicked Stepmother / castrating wife,

when it became his escape.


But also when he was young 

and I was little, and Mum was 

up in the house cooking,

waving from the window,

and the sun shone

on our broad back yard….


He never got me to like

grubs and soil and sheer hard work,

but it’s due to my Dad that I love

hardy, bright red geraniums,

and wide round orange-yellow

calendula flowers we mis-called marigolds.


Because of him I know

that whether rhododendrons

bloom pink or blue depends

on acid or alkaline soil, 

that earthworms are essential,

pretty white cabbage moths a pest.


I learned the look and smell

of rosemary: small white flowers, 

dark green leaves. ‘Rosemary means 

remembrance’ he said (long before 

I encountered Ophelia). So I knew 

I was born gifted with memory.


I still know the long-ago taste

of tiny, fresh-picked strawberries.

I remember the hum of bees

thick around a bush in summer,

the feel of my bare feet on grass,

and what time of day to water.


Thanks to him, I don’t weed away 

dandelions, I cherish them; 

I relish the tangy scent

of the shrub I’m named for;

and every place I live, I grow

abundant red geraniums.




Written for Weekly Scribblings #47: Meme Madness at Poets and Storytellers United. We're invited to write about things we learned to love through loving someone else who loved them.


13 comments:

  1. Delicious Memorial, R> Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many intoxicating sights and smells - it was like visiting those gardens with you

    ReplyDelete
  3. A real treat for the senses - such a tender reflection

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was my grandfather who gave me gardens and your poem made me nostalgic for my childhood, happily digging at my grandfather’s side. I love the way you open with a snapshot image of your father. This is such a personal poem, Rosemary, and a keyhole into your passion for colourful flowers. I especially enjoyed the lines:
    ‘…‘Rosemary means
    remembrance’ he said (long before
    I encountered Ophelia).’
    That’s the sort of thing my granddad would say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curiously recalling what life was like so many years ago shows us how much we lost by the relentless modernisation and developments in so many areas. Your picture of a simpler life must be full of sad memories and longing as every gain in life is accompanied by a loss too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes when i was growing up the flowers in the garden granted me much happiness

    happy Wednesday

    Much🖤love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow... I love this so much. I can feel the tenderness in the way he imparted the wisdom of gardening to you. I much admire gardeners for their patience. I'm kind of awful at anything that isn't part weed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much love, strength, wisdom, grace, trust .... in father and daughter. Sighs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! I can't think of anything better than passing on the love of gardens, if not the gardening (soil and wormy parts) itself! Gardening and reading were my father's legacy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had a green thumb instead of black but thankful for those flowers that grow regardless of my help. What a beautiful garden to escape into.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosemary, this is very touching. I can now see where the love of nature and flowers we see in your writing comes ffrom.
    He must have been a wonderful father, not all of have been so fortunate.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Thanks to him, I don't weed / dandelions, I cherish them." Blessed be he.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The scent of gardens was with me throughout, and the wonderful man your father must have been.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!