We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

8.12.20

Loss and Longing, Love and Light

Loss and Longing, Love and Light


Nana (my mother’s mother) was the great love of my early childhood. We all loved her, the whole family. I was only four when we lost her.

I recall her long, long hair when she let it out at night, brushed it slowly and firmly, then plaited it again and looped the plait into a coil on her neck. 


I liked to watch the lingering strokes of the brush; how deftly yet leisurely she divided the strands and laid them over each other to gradually form the plait; the placing of the long hairpins; and the last gesture as she firmly patted her bun into place.


I recall the soft lap I curled up in; the warm, cradling arms. ‘Gentle Jesus, meek and mild, look upon a little child,’ she crooned, lulling me to sleep.


I couldn’t really grasp the language of the next bit: ‘Pity my simplicity’ (not too long a word for me even then, only I thought it meant I was stupid) ‘and suffer me to come to Thee’ (I didn’t like the idea of anyone suffering, thanks a lot!). But that was irrelevant. Mainly, Nana’s lap was the place to be: my place.


After Nana died, my Mum lay a long time in a darkened room. ‘Don’t cry,’ said my Dad to me, ‘you’ll upset her. Go and play.’ I wandered listlessly around the lawn and along the paths. I told myself she was in Heaven. I listened to hear her in the clouds. I felt, slightly, that I did; but aloft, so distant….  


Years later – all the years following her loss – I heard the family tales: her melodic voice; the collection of little dogs that followed her everywhere; her compassion for listening (out of the blue) to strangers’ troubles, in such a way that they felt healed. People were naturally, spontaneously drawn to confide in her, I was told. I knew; she listened to me too, although I was only small.


I didn’t have her long, but she was a light to me – a gentle light yet strong, shining continually over all my life.


They said she thought herself ugly. Laughable! Of all people in the whole world, she was the most radiantly beautiful.



Written (in exactly 369 words excluding title) for Weekly Scribblings #49 at Poets and Storytellers United: my own prompt where I invite people to write something – anything – purposefully using one particular letter repeatedly. My letter here, of course, is L. I didn't have any idea beforehand of how it might impact the writing – and I'm not sure I have now, though I hope it might lend a softness. Once I knew what, or rather who, I wanted to write about (not the first time I've written of her) I picked that letter because it starts the word Love.

26 comments:

  1. I came in expecting one of your acrostics.
    Nice story, lots of love and nostalgia

    Happy Wednesday

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy exploring short prose in response to some of the Wednesday prompts. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. You really showed us how it’s done, Rosemary! I love the sound of ‘L’, like licking one’s lips! Such a poignant memory! It’s years since anyone brushed my hair – intimate care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh THIS is how it's done, alright. Fine, subtle alliteration Rosemary, unlike my (overburdened) L-laden labors.
      You rock, Sister.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the praise! I enjoyed your piece, however.

      Delete
  3. How well other grandchildren will remember their grandparents from this beautiful prose Rosemary. It took me back to WW2 years when I was occasionally looked after by one grandmother or the other and their delight in having a child in the house once more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the "L"s, Rosemary. I like to see how the prompter has handled his/her prompt, you did not dissapoont. My grandmother was special also. She died of "anemia" before I was a teen. I say that her doctor killed her as he was a chiropractor and she would have no other. Her blood cancer was discovered by autopsy.
    Long, long hair is the in now, way down the back. I like it both straight and frizzed.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad that your grandma went that way. Chiropractic has its place, but as a complementary treatment to orthodox medicine, not an alternative.

      Delete
  5. I love this from beginning to end and more, Rosemary. Your feelings for your grandma are so similar to my feelings to my own maternal grandmother. I was lucky enough to have her by my side for a lot longer than you had yours, but I believe that your grandmother's effect on your life is as significant as my grandmother's effect on mine.

    In your note you suggest that your choice of letter might added "a softness" to the piece. And that might be true, but I also think that regardless of what letter you've had chosen, your words about your grandmother would've been permeated with your love--soft, gentle, strong, lingering...

    This is a stunning piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magaly. I'm glad you had a grandmother who aroused such feelings, and had her longer. And yes, mine had a huge effect despite such brief time with her. I also inherited some of her attributes which this piece was too short to include.

      Delete
  6. How this reminded me of my grandmother who clearly loved all her grandchildren and treated us all the same with love. As an adult I heard she had died at home and drove there to find she was still lying on a bed in a ground floor living room as she couldn't use the stairs anymore. Until I read your most moving piece I hadn't thought about her for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Four is certainly old enough to remember a first love like that. I agree with Kim, L is lovely, and it does sound like licking of lips! L always seems slow as well, and there's an L in slow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Lovely" does seem to be the word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosemary, I find myself at a loss for words. Such a beautiful remembrance of your mother, what an unspeakable loss for a child of four. Thank you for sharing, for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, but this was actually my grandmother, my mother's mother. I called her Nana. It was a great los for all the family; everyone loved her so dearly.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!