We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

2.12.20

The Blurring of the Days

The Blurring of the Days

To Bill


Each night the clicking comes
of the small gecko on the wall
outside my front door. I hear it
as friendly and comforting. A mark
of the progress of my day, the hours
of my day, each day the same
sound at the same awaited time.

It takes me back to those days in Bali
with the loud clack of the huge
geckos in walls of straw,
strange yet amusing, reliable
backdrop to steamy nights …
at the same time as it grounds me
here and now. How the days slip by! 


Written for Weekly Scribblings #48: Words of an Unprecedented Year, at Poets and Storytellers United. One of the words is Blursday, for days indistinguishable from each other. I have experienced some of this during the pandemic isolation – but that gecko, one of the things that gives my days sameness, took me somewhere else, to a different kind of blurring which is perhaps more common as we age.


14 comments:

  1. I love how everyday sameness can take us to a different place, how interpretation and imagination are wonderful ways to keep from getting trap on the current blursdays. Thank goodness for geckos--and in my case, for birds--such wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We chose the same prompt word, Rosemary. I love where it took you in this poem. What a lovely creature to have on your wall, and a friendly noise on those days when you don’t see another human. I’m so glad it takes you back to ‘steamy nights’.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never used to have to check a calendar upon awakening to determine which day of the week it is... Maybe, if I lived near Geckoville, I could train one to click one way on Mondays, differently on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc., etc, though I suppose they're not all that easy to train. I could try, though; I've got lots of free time these days, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've set my mind to wondering exactly what it is that keeps each day from blurring into the next. I realize it's you ... and everyone in my life like you ... it's poetry, prose, art, music, nature. It's how we process (but it might be fun to have a gecko or two.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how complete this poem feels - like a well spent day

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know real geckos clacked! Where I live "The" Gecko is an animated ad mascot. Our lizards don't do anything special, just bask in the sun and eat mosquitoes, but they're cute and harmless enough to have prepared people to like the TV-commercial gecko.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading this very much. It brought back my own memories of geckos in a vacation apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so admire your ability to take the simplest of everyday things and turn them into lovely thoughts in prose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like where this went, and how the gecko could serve as a reminder that times were happy before and could be again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sound of geckos, i hear a lot of, i find it irritating; but i do nothing about it, nor do i wish those creatures any ill will.

    Bird songs in the dawn i look forward to
    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have so much to consideer from the past as we avoid contact with others. I was thinking only yesterday of visiting several pacific islands years ago with my wife and rubbing noses with some very attractive girls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely poem, a tribute to the geckos. I am glad that they are pumctual for you. And thank you, Rosemary, I didn't know that geck0s made noise. We swarm with them, generally two a week get into the house for me to send back outside, and one other will get caught in the back door mechanism. For the last two week the have been gone??

    ReplyDelete
  13. a blurring ... a grounding. (Crickets and frogs croaking as the sun sets. That is so soothing to me) I loved this poem and to think it is here because of the awesome prompt. What a beautiful reflection of the present and the past.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes sounds keep you grounded in the day and time. In this case a reliable gecko.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!