We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

8.6.21

Moths and Butterflies

 Moths and Butterflies


I thought they were butterflies

rising and dipping over the leaves, 

fluttering white, light glancing 

from their quick, shifting wings. 


So pretty, I thought. But my Dad

told me they were only cabbage moths,

spoiling our vegetables, eating holes 

in the greens meant for our dinner.


I observed later that butterflies were larger 

and had more colours – beautiful creatures 

that didn’t need to eat our food. They seemed

to need none; I thought they were fairies.


I think I’ve got it straight now. Fairies

are those flashes of light you see flitting

between visible and vanished. Butterflies 

are leisurely aristocrats, multi-coloured.


I haven’t seen white cabbage moths

since I moved to this part of the world.

But in Spring, dancing above my geraniums,

glinting like sunshine, are tiny yellow ones.



Written for Poets and Storytellers United's Weekly Scribblings #73: Butterflies and Moths.

12 comments:

  1. I love the description of butterflies as leisurely aristocrats. That just seems to suit the way they flit about so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but your dad was mistaken! They ARE butteflies, Cabbage Whites, and are quite beautiful with their spots and grey wing tips. Of course, I don't grow brassica, so I don't mind them visiting my flowers! Their caterpillars eat in someone else's garden! I wonder why we plant flowers just for butterfly larvae to eat, and that's okay? My poem is accompanied by a photo of a gorgeous pink and orange moth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming from the UK to Australia many years ago it was a delight to discover all the variety of wild creatures including butterflies. However on the other hand how bad it was for the early British settlers to bring there own animals that were not good for the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one
    Happy Wednesday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roseman, I'm happy for you that you can now tell the difference between butterflies and moths. And fairly early in life too! ( A country boy, I had that trouble telling between lions and tigers.)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pleasant surprise! A tutorial on moths, butterflies and fairies.. It made for a happy journey. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, Rosemary. My Mother has morphed into a yellow butterfly. I see her everywhere I walk outdoors. An aristocrat for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Butterflies are aristocrats indeed! I never tire of watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Multi coloured aristocrats is an apt image. Fairies as shimmer of light is too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your reference to the butterflies as aristocrats. Good one,
    Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the beautiful descriptions, Rosemary. And the way both child and adult see the magic in the world. Even when the world has done its best to make the magic unreal.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!