We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

31.5.21

Oneself

 Oneself

I never married another poet,

though I married two writers –

and indeed, my first husband

(who was not a writer) 

once wrote a poem, 

and so did my third, just once. 

Guess you can’t be married 

to a poet without something, 

however unusual, rubbing off.


But mostly how strange 

it was, how uncanny – 

to be in such close

and intimate relationship

– for with each there was

a sharing of thoughts,

confidences, and the way

one comes to know another 

when living so near, so


together in the same space;

almost as if becoming one

with the other person, the spouse 

(as we’re taught in Romance) – 

yet there’s a part of one’s life, 

one’s self, that can never quite 

be understood except by another

poet: that’s simply the nature

of things and can’t be helped.


All the other poets

understand completely – no need

even for it ever to be said:

so well we all know, and know

that we know. Even if one hates 

their ethics, their politics, their 

hangers-on, even if one despises 

their disgusting or puerile or 

decorative verse. Even then.


My husbands understood me

more or less well. Until they

didn’t, or died, whichever came first. 

Not uncommon, I suppose. 

Except there was just this one 

aspect they could never quite grasp 

though they tried. And it’s the core.... 

But I don’t think I’d like

to be married to another poet


and anyway I’m never

likely to be, now. As for

the lovers, some never even knew

I had poetry. (Though that was

early days – and lesser lovers.)

Well, many of my friends are poets.

Or artists, who understand too.

And there’s the me inside me

after all, understanding perfectly.



Submitted to Weekly Scribblings #72 at Poets and Storytellers United, where Magaly invites us to use any or all of the words unusual, uncommon, uncanny.


22 comments:

  1. If I become a widower I might hang around some poets. I doubt anything would rub off though, I probably would be intimidated. Not like here with this group, they are sooo nice to me even though I will never say I am a poet. I write, yes, and read.
    I think going back to school and taking a "Poetry appreciation" course might help me in reading (I self taught myself some more about writing poems from Ted Kooser's book, The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical Advice for Beginning Poets).
    The Music class, Music appreciation helped Mrs. Jim immensely. She knows the answers to most "Jeopardy" music questions. She played the viola and was also a church orchestra librarian for years and years. I took two semesters of college "Piano" class as an adult but have forgotten most now.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you as a poet, Jim, even if you don't – a poet being someone who makes poems, which you do. Or I could say, someone who practises the craft of poetry, which would allow you to make a joke about still practising. But we are all just doing the best we can. I think creativity is good for us (probably essential) l and I enjoy reading what you write

      Delete
  2. wow a husband and a poet-the last thing that one could dream of...interesting poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Australian poetry community is comparatively small. It's far from unknown for poets to be in relationships with each other.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed these poetic ponderings My husband is a motor maniac A world I don't understand and so it is with poetry for him lol. When we do things together we never speak about motors not poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curiously my wife was the writer in the family and when her writing group lost a few members she urged me to go along too. So I started writing stories and poetry with the group and my fine art side slowly disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! I'm so glad you took up writing. And obviously you took to it as well.

      Delete
  5. Nice one Rosemary

    Much🌷love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in a relationship with someone who was very much like me--he wrote, he enjoyed extreme sports, he was wild... The relationship didn't end well. I think it lacked balance. We wrote a poem together at the very end. Parts of it read like a lost war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that’s very interesting. A lack of balance: good insight. But I’m glad for you that your piano man is involved in the arts. (And perhaps balances you in other ways.) I said to Anjum I’ve seen plenty of relationships between poets. I’ve also seen plenty of them break down ... and others which never do. My poem is not a lament, merely a musing.

      Delete
  7. Interesting soliloquy about husbands and poets. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Rosemary. It made for fascinating reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bev, I’m glad of that. (Always afraid the contents of my own head might be unutterably boring to others.)

      Delete
  8. I like that they're called "lesser lovers"! Not ones who knew you well, or you let know you well. My late husband was not a poet. In fact, he never even wrote me one love poem! My daughter's first serious boyfriend wrote her nothing but poems, and songs he'd play on his guitar (making them up on the spot without thought), because he was cheap and thought they were more valuable then a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly many qualities in a husband or boyfriend much more important than versification!

      Delete
  9. Ah yes. My wife is not. Though she too has made attempt, it’s not in there already. You know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘In there already’. Exactly! I do know. Of course. As you would know.

      Delete
  10. All the boys I dated were writers. LOL, I never really thought of myself as one until much, much later. My husband dabbles with writing too, but his creative outlet is running D&D campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, where did you find so many young writers to date? I guess you didn't grow up in so small a town as I did.

      Ha, my firstborn (who has dabbled in writing) and a circle of his friends never grew out of D&D, which seems to take care of his creativity too.

      Delete
  11. Never dated nor married a poet. I know better.
    Love the poem, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were rather thin on the ground when I was young. By the time I found a poetry community, I was no longer 'available' in that way. Which was probably just as well really, thinking back....

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!