We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

9.5.21

I Am the Poem

 I Am the Poem


I am the poem 

I wrote before I was born.

I am the poem 

I write new every day.


I am the poem

of light iridescent.

I am the poem

that shines in the dark.


I am the poem

the leaf makes in the wind.

I am the poem

the wind fashions with leaves.


I am the poem

that ripples across the river.

I am the poem

the mountain etches on cloud.


I am the poem

the rain sings to the earth.

I am the poem

the sky prints on the ocean.


I am the poem

the ocean bellows.

I am the poem

the stars investigate.

I am the poem

that writes itself new every day.

I am the poem

God wrote before I was born.




Inspired by Magaly Guerrero's wonderful statement, 'I am the poem nature wrote with her teeth', posted on Instagram. She invited people to replace her last five words with their own. I completely failed to register the word 'five' in the instructions when I responded with my first statement above. Her idea excited me so much that I went on to pour out this whole poem. Then I noticed the bit about five words! Some of my lines do have five words after the opening phrase, but plenty don't. However I'm reluctant to alter them now.


Sharing with Writers' Pantry #75 at Poets and Storytellers United.



18 comments:

  1. You are the poem I always long to read at sunrise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the wild poem I want to be when I grow up.

    As you already know, I adore this piece, especially this bit: "I am the poem / that writes itself new every day." There is so much hope in those lines, so much promise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad you like it. Thank you for the inspiration, without which it would not have been!

      Delete
  3. LOL, it was worth bending the rules to get this amazing piece

    ReplyDelete
  4. How good it is Rosemary to read a poem that is so strong and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the poem that
    Brings me joy in internet fellowship

    Happy Sunday Rosemary


    Much💛love


    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing about this poem needs to be altered at all. It's brilliant! I'm singing for joy! (Is it because I too am a poem?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that is why we love poems. To read and to write them.
    There is so much energy in what you wrote today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful when they arrive with such a rush, as if given by the Universe!

      Delete
  8. A beautiful continuum from Magaly's inspiration....and now I find myself inspired to add my own! Like ripples in a stream, the poem goes on... Nice thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic! My favorite part is "I am the poem / the stars investigate." There is a depth of mystery in those lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly even know where that line came from! It just presented itself, with a feeling of rightness.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!