We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

19.5.21

The Other Cats: #1. The forgotten

The Other Cats #1: The Forgotten


I say my latest is number eight. Not true; she’s really the eleventh. I could list my eight in loving detail. Those other three I don’t count, and tend to forget. 


Let’s count them, this once.


#1 The forgotten.

#2 The invader.

#3 The feral.


I mostly forget #1. How could that be? He was my first – or she? – and I’d always longed for a cat. I remember what she looked like: small, black-and-white, scarcely past kitten-hood.

Where did I get him? What was her name? I probably answered an ad. Something in a shop – or house – window? A neighbour whose cat had kittens?


I was renting a house with two other young women: my first independence. Of course I got a cat! They didn’t mind, so long as all care and feeding was mine. 


They worked full-time. I was a student, living near the uni, with time between lectures. I guess I spent some time home with the cat. I recall she was outside a lot during the day. I think I brought him into my bedroom at night.

I was poor. A scholarship took care of student fees but little else. There must have been a meagre living allowance. Also I pawned things; seldom reclaimed them. Many weeks I lived on a head of lettuce; sixpence worth of mincemeat (a lot back then) which I shared with the cat; and oranges which one of the others had plentifully, from her family who grew them. I remember the cat eating eagerly, at her little bowl near the laundry. I must have named him; no idea what.


After a year, our tenancy ended. I went home for long vacation (across Bass Strait, from Melbourne to Tasmania). What did I do with the cat? I vaguely think I advertised, and gave it to a neighbouring family.


How could I, always feline-besotted, forget my first cat?


‘Some people break down very quietly,’ said my psychiatrist, a few years later. 'No-one notices.'

I look back and see I was already starting to break down then: so quietly, I myself didn’t realise yet. 


Could I even connect with a cat? Surely I was kind, responsible? 


I don’t remember.




(To be continued. See #2 and #3.)



For Weekly Scribblings #70 at Poets and Storytellers United, Rommy asks us to write a list poem, or a piece of prose that incorporates the idea of a list. Although this piece does that, and even supplies the list, I apologise that it doesn't complete the details. I expect that will take two more episodes.

21 comments:

  1. This started me off again, Rosemary! I’ve just read a chapter in a story in which the protagonist’s cat dies, which made me think of my past and present cats and, of course, made me cry. I could write a list of all my cats – but you’ve done it for me. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its amazing the kind companionship of your cats

    Happy Wednesday

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few such half memories too. The hardest part for me is forgiving myself for the things I missed, but I've recognized that if its a lot more helpful to find that peace in myself if I hope to be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that writing about this cat now, and the two others on the list, acknowledging their existence and what happened between us, may help me forgive myself and find peace.

      Delete
  4. Sadly as one gets older one's memory does become less reliable...however my years going to an art school are as vivid now as they were then...or was it the girls I met there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was meaning to suggest that this particular memory lapse may have been due to my mental state at the time.

      Delete
  5. Now I'm extremely curious about what happened behind the scenes, what event could've been powerful enough to break a memory... I really enjoyed the pronoun hopping, how it keeps telling us that you can't quite remember if your fist kitten was a boy or a girl (and in a way, how it reminds us that it doesn't really matter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long story short: the Stepmother from Hell. I had not long got out from under.

      Delete
    2. Which I suppose gave me the freedom to start 'breaking down' instead of grimly and terrifiedly holding myself together.

      Delete
  6. I alwas enjoy your "cat stories", Rosemary. Your attachment to your cat is very sweet and peaceful to hear about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! I look forward to reading the next installment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosemary, this is about as deep as one can write when the subject is 'lists' ... you shared a huge part of yourself .... cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the cheering. And the understanding.

      Delete
  9. I have a list of strays. Took one in, the rest stayed out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is much I can't remember but I never thought it might be part of a breakdown, but now you have me wondering. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it depends on what kinds of things you don't remember. This particular thing is an extraordinary matter for me to forget, given that I am such a cat-lover and this was the very first cat of my own I was able to have – and a nice little cat, too, as far as I can recall. Doesn't make sense that he/she has so slipped my mind.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!