We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

5.5.21

An Afternoon in Murwillumbah

 An Afternoon in Murwillumbah


In the grove, the Goddesses gather

in bright velvet cloaks, in a small semi-circle 

of folding chairs overlooking a gully.

Four are white-haired, two fair, one dark.


On the ground we have placed yellow flowers

and a statuette of Gaia, rounded and fecund.

(There’s a dragonfly drawn on her belly

and a long carved braid down her back.)


We settle, breathe. With the tips of our tongues

we taste the air. We close our eyes. Shrill birds,

too high for us to see, call and call in the trees.

We open our eyes, let them take in all we see.


Because it’s a grove, I speak the Druid prayer.

Then our Grandmother Goddess leads us

in a meditation for the Earth. We each become

a raindrop, falling through branches.


The raindrop enters the stream. The stream

descends underground, feeds plants

and the roots of trees, heads to join the river….

We hear the constant sound of moving water.


After we bring ourselves back, resurfacing,

a fat black dog from the park behind us,

not much older than a puppy, pounds the grass

and dashes in amongst us, full of joy.


We hug the dog, and greet the unknown woman

who follows, laughing, to fetch her – 

not at all startled to find us here in our cloaks 

contemplating the gully under the tall trees.


This little town between river and mountain 

is matter-of-fact about things like that.

‘You’ve been meditating,’ she says. We agree, 

standing and gathering our stuff.


‘I saw all the cars,’ she says. ‘I thought the park

would be full of dogs to play with. When I saw

it was empty, I let her off her leash.’ We assure her

it’s fine. The dog gets in a few more happy hugs.



Written for Weekly Scribblings #68: Where Are You Placed? at Poets and Storytellers United. Murwillumbah is a rural town in the sub-tropical Northern Rivers region of New South Wales, Australia, a little south of the Queensland border and half an hour's drive inland from the coast.





























30 comments:

  1. Rosemary, I lived your lovely poem. Puppy dogs make instant love, as does a lovely lady with a dragonfly drawn on her belly. I always stop to study tattoos.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A vivid gathering of the goddesses, Rosemary, in a place you have evoked so magically. I especially enjoyed the appeal to the senses in the lines:
    ‘We settle, breathe. With the tips of our tongues
    we taste the air. We close our eyes. Shrill birds,
    too high for us to see, call and call in the trees.
    We open our eyes, let them take in all we see.’
    The friendly dog was a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A surprise to us too, Kim! LOL. I included that encounter in the poem as I think it's also very typical of Murwillumbah.

      Delete
  3. The onliest place you can be is where you will yourself to go, eh?
    Enjoyed this encounter very much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this poem. From childhood right through to retirement both my wife and I had one dog or another to please us and then the kids and to take on walks and bark at the front door when someone knocked. They can be very good companions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are great. In the past I had both dogs and cats.

      Delete
  5. You successfully created for us the mysteriously magic atmosphere of the gathering in the deep woods and, when we were enthralled, you introduced the black puppy to bring us back to reality. A beautiful write, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mostly I've practiced solitary. But I had a very good friend not so long ago who could always be counted on for that sort of group work. Those were always magical moments, and my dog only interrupted sometimes, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often practice solitary too. But am blessed that in this town I can be part of this circle of women, most of whom I've known for many years, who try to embody the qualities of the Divine Feminine, and to use energy for healing (as well as helping others, and each other when necessary, in practical ways). Not specifically Pagan – though several of us are – we encompass a number of spiritual paths: Buddhist, Christian, Hare Krishna, New Age ... none of which gets in the way of our focus on the Goddess and the Earth when we get together. It feels very enfolding.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful. What struck me was "This little town between river and mountain
    is matter-of-fact about things like that." Too bad more places can't be like that. I know my town isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am very blessed to live here. I forget how unlike most other towns it is, until visitors comment on the fact.

      Delete
  8. Such a vivid and intimate moment. I feel like I'm part of the circle, experiencing the woods, tasting the air, getting closer to all...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Groves are a cool choice. The fat black dog was a fun image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the grove was cool and the dog was fun. As you say.

      Delete
  10. Nice one. Happy Wednesday

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  11. Somehow, I think, the dog was bearing the spirit(s) of the place where you sat. How appropriate that the dog greeted you with joy, and you reciprocated the greeting. Spirits to spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely time in Murwillumbah's grove. I can picture it from your description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed spending time with us here.

      Delete
  13. Magical, mystical .... I want to journey there. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How welcome you would be to join us! Either in person or in spirit.

      Delete
  14. What an enchanting place! Do you suppose the joyful pup had another purpose for being there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the experience of joy was purpose enough for all concerned.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!