We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

15.9.21

Fairy Floss

 Fairy Floss


feathered my childhood. 

Americans call it cotton candy.

I know better: it’s magical.

Revellers in that realm craft it.

Young forever, they fill it with light.


Fluffy, clingy sweetness melts.

Loveliness fills the delighted mouth.

Oh, the zing that follows the airy touch!

Soft hints of fairyland linger.

Somehow, they never quite fade. 















In Australia we really do call it Fairy Floss.


For Weekly Scribblings #87 at Poets and Storytellers United, Rommy asked us to write on anything we might find at a fair.


Image: By Valerie Elash at Unsplash.

12 comments:

  1. A lovely cotton candy reverie

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really is known by the name Fairy Floss here. I'll add a note to that effect.

      Delete
  2. Although I was never a fan of cotton candy, I suspect I could fall in love with fairy floss. It's all in the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can still recall the way it tasted, how it stuck to my fingers ~~~ love the name Fairy Floss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the term "fairy floss" It's much more magical than plain old cotton candy!! I have an affinity for sweets, but I never did like cotton candy for some peculiar reason. I much prefer a caramel apple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Fairy Floss". Kids enjoy it, adults 'don't mind' finishing for them.
    I'd not heard that, but the U.K. folk are more fairy oriented. I found Isle of Man folk to be even more than the Irish. I didn't hear of any in the Aus, including Tasmania, or N.Z.
    Mrs. Jim said she knows it as Floss and Sponge Sugar. That would be Louisiana which is heavy in French.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink fairy floss
    a lovely memory
    of childhood

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fairy floss is such a pretty way to describe it. So, so sticky. We rented a machine for a school function once, and, oh, but my husband's arms got covered in it! It's not the same now getting it in a package, it's best watching it wind around the paper stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Oh yes, it was magical (again!) the way it wrapped around the stick. It's actually a long time since I've even seen it. (Sigh.)

      Delete
  8. I like the name fairy floss much better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fairy Floss is so much more ethereal for this substance. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!