We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

5.9.21

Father’s Day Recollections

 Father’s Day Recollections


My father comes back to me now

in his prime, not as the old man

frail and forgetful – though even then

he found ways to be cheerful. No,

I see him as the wise counsellor

and personal friend; before

the flaws became visible

and filled my gaze … ah well, 

it was a brief time. But good.


I could go further back

to the fun young Dad, 

the one who rolled on the floor

as we tickled him, the one 

who hugged us, laughed, taught us 

our letters on alphabet blocks,

made us toy bows and arrows 

from his own home-grown bamboo.

(All his life, he loved to garden.)


Or I could focus on 

his walking-stick, his limp,

the suppressed winces of pain.

There were bad days and good.

I never asked what made

the difference. (Was it 

the weather?) All that 

was just part of the background 

of life, of what made him him.


I try not to think (but I must)

of the weakness, the betrayal.

I call it out now:

self-indulgence, cowardice.

The serial infidelities that at last 

lost him my mother’s love; the failure 

to guard his children from the cruel 

mad stepmother he gave us

in a face-saving, hasty remarriage.


Poor Dad! But was he? After 

she mentally castrated him (ironic 

fate) he taught himself to paint 

landscapes in oils, and sold them. 

(Some he gave away to my brother and me, 

after we were grown, living our own lives.)

And he wandered the Mallee, finding thick, 

knobbed, curling sticks which he sanded 

and polished as walking-sticks. Sold them too.


All this, and more, made up the man.

There was also the boy I heard about

from his sister my aunt, and my grandma

his mother. Crippled young by an accident, 

but cheerful, making the best. A dreamer, 

a reader. A lover of poetry, who wrote it too.

The man recited poems (other people’s)

at parties, where the leg didn’t stop him

being a smooth ballroom dancer….


But he comes back first

in his prime; the one I could talk to,

the kindred spirit, the companion

sharing favourite books, the knowing advisor

enlightening his teenage daughter

on the male point of view, the grown-up

expanding my understanding

of history, sociology, psychology,

nature. And of course literature.


He was in his way, I suppose,

a good-looking man – open countenance,

fair skin; pleasant, even features 

(apart from the family nose with its bump)

and well set-up, as they used to say.

What he couldn’t get from sport (because 

of the leg) he could from gardening. 

So he never got fat. Just squarer.

His usual expression was kindly.


He gave me my own poetry,

reading and writing. He gave me

my politics, and my belief

that intolerance is the thing

I should most be intolerant of.

(Perhaps he also gave me

a liking for liquor, and a sad lack

of Puritan morals!) I loved him again

and he knew it, shortly before he died.






























I don't have any photos of him at the time I most like to recall, so instead I show him as a young man in father role, and as the elderly artist (resting his hand on one of the wooden walking-sticks he crafted).


And yes,  today is Father's Day in Australia.


I'm sharing this post in Writers' Pantry #86 at Poets and Storytellers United.


28 comments:

  1. I remember him as being VERY charming and I remember an oil painting he showed us once on one of the couple of times I actually met him. The "O" on the signature impressed me as being a perfect circle or ellipse. I didn't know about the walking sticks. A very talented man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was both talented and charming. I had forgotten you'd met him, but I remember the period it would have been, when he visited me in Melbourne quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. Your beautiful and affecting memoir piece evokes a mix of emotions. I’m my father’s daughter, too. So, I like the gentle introduction of him coming back to you in his prime as a wiser counsellor and friend. I find your calling out his weaknesses brave and powerful. Because as much as we love our fathers (and mothers) and may seem all knowing in the eyes of a child, they are human too. They make mistakes. That’s why I love the ending of your piece more, “I loved him again and he knew it, shortly before he died.” An outstanding piece, Rosemary. Thank you for sharing. Hope one day I’ll get to read your memoir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Khaya. I'll have to write the memoir first! I suspect it may remain in fragments, in these poems and short prose pieces here.

      Delete
  3. A person grows up a little more when they discover the layers in their parents' personalities. No one is all one thing. The pandemic has made me a lot more thoughtful about the oddities of my own folks, and while I wish some things had been different, I understand them better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are little we think them omniscient and omnipotent. Looking back from a later vantage point, we realise they were just youngsters really, at that time – as blundering and hopeful as we ourselves were when we became young parents in our own turn.

      Delete
  4. This made me cry...and how timely! Today would've been my father's birthday and I relate with the complex nature of fathers in general. So much admiration and longing with resentment and confusion. Anyway, thank you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Naledi. What a wonderful piece of synchronicity that today is your father's birthday! I hope your tears were healing.

      Delete
  5. Nice one. Rosemary.
    Good Sunday

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad and moving tale. Humans are complex flawed and vulnerable,Somehow they manage to survive in a family unit not always without difficulty.I was surprised you regret not being a puritan. You wouldn't like it...they are not known for having a lot of fun... besides if you were you would be formally exiled from the Northern Rivers and you just got a new paint job done on your house:)

      Delete
    2. Don't worry, dear Rall, I meant the 'sad' ironically!

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful memoir of your father, whose love of poetry probably rubs off on you.
    Your father is a talented artist. I have seen one of his landscapes you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely get my love of poetry from him, primarily, though my Mum loved it too. I wish I had his artistic ability also, and my Mum's musical ability; both skipped a generation and showed up in my sons.

      Delete
  7. How thoughtfully you portray your father. It is good there was love and affection at the end .. and understanding as well. He sounds such an interesting man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was an interesting man, and in many respects a good one – just weak.

      Delete
  8. Parents are complex (mythical) creatures, aren't they? You are such a wonderful soul to see the bad in him, without forgetting the good. My mother passed away recently, as you know. And although, intellectually, I know that there was much good in her, the bad remains too fresh. I hope to get to where you've gotten... eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a wonderful Dad to us when we were young children, and we adored him – which meant the hurt and disillusion was all the greater when it came. (There was a period when I cut off all contact with him for 15 years!) But still, that early experience, and those aspects of him which so shaped me, cannot be discounted.

      Delete
  9. this a very moving portrayal of your father, we see the closed to us in great detail and not all of it is want want to see. but i guess we have to, and accepting it somehow is what love is about. very moving rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was quite a decision to make this public (even though all those mentioned, except my brother and me, are long dead). Comments like this make me glad I did.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing, Rosemary. He sounds like he was an interesting and complex man.
    This made me think of my dad (which maybe was a side-purpose?) He got sick on this Labor day weekend in 2007 and was gone 9 weeks later.

    The strength it took for you to share, perhaps maybe I could do as well. Someday.

    You do inspire me, Rosemary and I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joel. It's nice to know I inspire you.

      No, I didn't have the side-purpose you suggest, but I'm glad if the poem has that effect.

      Delete
  11. I wish, how I wish ... I had long ago memories of my father. Sixteen years old is too young to lose your Dad. I do dream about him ... to this day ... and he has returned from wherever he's been ... I am crying, asking why he left us for so long, where had he been. He still looks the same, not aged. Well Ms. Rosemary your beautifully composed prose poem took me way way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed that is very young to lose a parent! I'm sure no-one would ever get over that.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed reading this. I'm sure that a lot of people can relate to various aspects of this very personal reminiscence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He did give you many valuable teachings, and as a child
    we never see any faults, though they may already be present.
    This is a wonderful piece of writing, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I've lived to be more grateful than disappointed.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!