We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

20.1.22

Quiet in bed, I overheard …


Quiet in bed, I overheard

the moon’s low voice

telling the shadows:


Stay clear of her. She is mine. 

Do not drift close to her body, 

do not slide into her mind.


All night, every night

in my childhood and beyond,

she beamed her light.


Shining white, or silvery,

sometimes gold, she filled

my uncurtained window.



         *********


Quiet in bed, I overheard 

the moon tell 

100 thousand million stars:


This one is poetry. Her 

we guard through the night, 

saturate with our light.


Later, when troubles came

and griefs could not be denied,

the moon and stars endured.


Their light ignites my torch,

called poetry – which illuminates

and transforms all shadows.






















Full moon photo: © Rosemary Nissen-Wade 2018



Note: It is estimated that there are about 100 thousand million stars in our galaxy.


Written in response to Friday Writings #10 at Poets and Storytellers United.






30 comments:

  1. The moon and the stars are light-giving muses! How wonderful is that. The moon is hiding behind clouds tonight, but when I go bet I will conjure her in my mind--the stars, too--in hope I can overhear them discussing poetry and more.

    I really like this one, Rosemary. It left me smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad. And without your prompt, it would never have been!

      Delete
  2. "This one is poetry"... oh how I love the voice of that moon!!! I need to borrow it for a bit for my square of sky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the moon and stars endured..." The moon and the stars are out constants, very much always there,' even when it is cloudy or daylight whe we can't see them. And when we can our assurance is recharged.
    I like it, Rosemary, I hope you can tell.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnificent
    Affirmative
    Captivating

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely piece Rosemary which speaks so tenderly to the essence of the poetic impulse... Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this enchanting piece of moonlight filled magic. How lovely it is to be in deep communion with our most powerful muses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poetry...no greater light anywhere, ever. Awesome work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "This one is poetry" that's quite a refrain rosemary, to have poetry as a shield, very well said

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful poem, Rosemary .. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The constants in our world---the moon and the stars, ever present and restorative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like poetry transforming all the shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to think poetry is transformative, and always find it a solace for the various kinds of shadows one may encounter.

      Delete
  12. Oh, yes! Poetry does transform darkness into light!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love lying in bed with the window open, a special treat when the moon is there. The winter sky is especially lovely but too cold of late, or I too lazy to bundle up and venture out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still nice with the window shut but the curtains open.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!