We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

17.11.22

13 Things I Liked Today

  1. I exchanged a number of cuddles with my little cat; we both purred.
  2. The thrill of receiving some wonderful blurb quotes for my new memoir.
  3. Gardener Lucy came to weed – I won’t be growing random rogue trees!
  4. At last I resumed my exercising – ahhh! why did I wait so long?
  5. Judith texted love hearts to ask if I’m feeling better; I am now!
  6. Email exchange with my brother; we start to go deep into our past.
  7. Confronted unpleasant truths about me, accepted them with a laugh.
  8. Today was a little cooler, a welcome respite yet still sunny.
  9. Read a book of weird, obscure (visionary) poems; liked it anyway.
  10. Chose not to finish reading a book of banal nature poetry.
  11. Began listening to an audio-book by Carmel Bird; enjoyed.
  12. I ate a bit healthier than I have lately – or a bit less unhealthy.
  13. I remembered love I have been given, glad to hold it to my heart.




(I decided to make them all 'American sentences' this time – 17 syllables.)

Sharing at the latest Thursday 13.

Image by at Pierre Bamin at Unsplash.

8 comments:

  1. This inspires me to exercise the grateful part of my brain! It's sometimes the littlest things that make the day. In the 20s here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know American sentences in 17 syllables was a thing, so thanks for that. I hope your memoir is a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The memoir will have a niche market, I think, but that's OK.

      Allen Ginsburg invented the American sentence (and called it that) as a Western version of haiku. Mine here are not very poetic, however. :( But I like the challenge of working with an extra constraint.

      Delete
  3. That’s great about you and your brother. I wish mine would let me into his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've always been on good terms, having shared a traumatic childhood. But we have lived in different countries for decades now, with only a few visits to reconnect, and both have led busy lives. It's only in our old age that we are starting a mutual exploration of our beginnings – parents, ancestors, experiences...

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!