We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

3.11.22

13 Things Not Everyone Knows About Me

1.

I had three grandfathers (though only two grandmothers). ‘Grandpa’,

the only one I ever met, was a ‘step’, but my mother and I loved him – 

because he loved us, gave us books and wise advice, and lots of time

for long conversations and letters, and walks through Nature together.


2.

Of all my grandparents, though, the one I loved most was my Nana, 

Grandpa’s wife. She died when I was only four. I’ll never forget her.

A warm rich voice, a warm lap to sit on, warm arms to clasp me safe, 

a big warm bosom to snuggle into. She told me stories, sang me lullabies.


3. 

I was nine before parents and teachers noticed I needed glasses. 

Before that, the other kids called me ‘stuck up’. I didn’t say hello 

until they were close and I could see their faces, see who they were. 

By which time, feeling ignored, they turned up their noses at me. 


4. 

I like a handsome face as much as the next girl, and also a splendid form. 

But a better aphrodisiac is laughter. Make me laugh, go on doing that,

and you’ve probably got me. But if you want to keep me – listen! 

Hear me! Hear me deep. Open to what you hear. Consider it.


5.

Everyone knows I’m a cat-lover, been one all my life. Not many know

my dearest animal friend was a dog. He stood as high as my thigh. 

His bark was a deep bay. He was a stray who came and found me – 

after I had many visions of him. (He reincarnated later as one of my cats.)


6. 

I have a water phobia. I love the water, but swim from the neck down.

I need to keep my face out; can’t be splashed or I panic – really panic. 

I believe I drowned in Atlantis. Some of us didn’t get out in time.

When the water came, I swam and swam, but at last I grew too tired. 


7.

I’d be scared to get close to any but a small spider. Yet I revere spiders.

In my house no-one’s allowed to kill them. Unless they’re dangerous.

When a white-tailed spider crawled from under a pile of washing, once,

in my elderly mother’s home, I stomped on it quick. An exception.


8. 

A few of my dreams have a special flavour. When I wake up, I know 

they are not just part of the ordinary run of dreams, where we sort out

the daily garbage. Also, I remember them. I remember them always.

Some turn out prophetic. The rest, I think, are glimpses of other lives.

9.

I have a deformed fingernail on the ring finger of my right hand. 

My cousin dropped a brick on it when she was three. I was four. 

She always said it was an accident, but still claimed to feel guilty. 

I always believed she did it on purpose. No-one ever notices, though.


10.

When I was little I longed to be a ballet dancer.  But when my Mum

took me to my first (and only) ballet class, I couldn’t do it! My body

wouldn’t carry out even the simplest instructions. Lack of rhythm, 

poor coordination, no ear for music … which? Probably all. 


11.

When I was growing up, I never dreamed about being a bride. I never

craved babies. Didn’t want a handsome Prince to come and rescue me.

I wanted to be the swashbuckler; my own d’Artagnan or Robin Hood.

I didn’t want to be a boy. I wanted the adventures boys were allowed. 


12.

I have very small hands and feet, and head. But they don’t look small.

Just don’t ever give me hats or gloves or slippers; I’ll swim in them.

No-one quite believes this. They’re sure they’ll get it right. They don’t.

My Firstborn says he's the same. You wouldn’t guess it of him, either.


13. 

I’ve always had a thing for dragons. There was a time I'd call them 

through the ether, to be my companions or guardians; even requested

their company for others – who did experience it. My 'tuned in' friend,

Letitia, said I had two dragon incarnations a very long time ago.






















Dragon photo (and dragon ) mine.



Sharing this post with Thursday Thirteen, a new game to play.



14 comments:

  1. This: "I wanted the adventures boys were allowed." Gosh, how that rings true, and is such a sage thing to understand! Women don't want to be men, they simply want to be allowed to do the same things as men without all the hoops and walls always in their way. I really enjoyed reading your Thursday Thirteen and getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be over to return the compliment soon.

      Delete
  2. I never dreamed of being a bride either. At one time I wanted to be like Annie Oakley. Never and still don't like getting my head under water. That In the News on CFS was written in 2006. I think there have been some advancements since then but no cure still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Rosemary. Thanks for sharing some of your kid memories. I enjoyed reading them and related to some of your experiences. Things got blurry when I was 9. I thought it was how things were supposed to look. Took a couple of years before some set my parents and me straight. And, yes, I thought boys had the better fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating the little things we have in common with others, even when we imagine we're so unique, lol.

      Delete
  4. #3. I was also 9. And my eyesight has only declined!
    #4. A sense of humor is necessary!
    #8. I frequently have dreams like that; they just feel different. And some do turn out to be prophetic, but rarely in any big way. I'd never considered the past lives angle, but that has merit.
    #11. The adventures boys were allowed, a fight still being fought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm particularly interested that you know what I mean about the different feel of 'those' dreams.

      Delete
    2. I've had dreams like that my entire life. There are dreams that feel just that, just my brain doing its thing. But there are others that have almost a heaviness to them, like the senses are richer within them. For me, a lot of them feel somewhat otherworldly, and those with that feeling are always about people I've lost. They feel like visitations or interactions. Others are less otherworldly, much more mundane, but still have that heaviness and richness. Those are the ones that generally become prophetic.

      Delete
    3. Yes, 'the senses are richer within them' describes mine too. I never met anyone else before who shared this experience – but then, I don't usually go around talking about it! I've had them all my life too, but not particularly often. They stand out.

      Delete
    4. I get them more the older I get. My dad and grandmother had similar things but in the waking world, although neither would admit it. Sometimes mine extends into the waking with world, too, with intense feelings that focus on someone I care about. I may not know exactly what's happening, but invariably, something is indeed happening. I've always been good at finding lost things, too. My mom used to call me and, with no intro, demand to know where was. No thought, and I'd answer. 9/10 times I was right.

      Delete
  5. Oh love this memory list... as for #4... sigh... true, so true. Perhaps, I suspect, listening as an art is dying..or dead. If it can't fit in a 10 word text message with an emoticon or two, no one wants to hear a word. Oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there was ever a lot of it around. :(

      Delete
  6. Theses are most interesting. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!