We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

1.11.22

Here Are My Three Grandfathers (3)

Yes, I had three grandfathers. Two I never met. One was an army officer in British India. One was a drunk and a poet. 

The third was a Yorkshireman, and became an orchardist. He brought his family – my Nana, my Uncle Ian, my Mum and my Aunty Franki – out to Tasmania. Where I was born. 




 

3.

And this is my Grandpa, Francis Sydney Holmes, here with me in my Launceston back yard – Mum’s stepfather, the only father she knew, the only Grandpa I knew, and more than enough. See how happy I look to be with him here!


He took me for walks, pointing out birds and insects, naming trees and flowers, showing me how to see. Birthdays and Christmases he gave me books: Dickens, the Brontes, Dumas.... He wrote me many letters – sadly, none kept – not as to a child, but an equal intellect.


The orchards were in Spreyton, near Devonport. In family gatherings at The Orchard House, my brother and cousins and I would fall asleep by the fire, listening to old family tales and reminiscences, until we were carried to bed. Daytimes we explored the bush. When I was very little I rode on the foot of the draught-horse, gentle Horace, hugging his leg.


Grandpa left me his Remington typewriter. (Everyone knew I would be a writer.) And he left money towards my tertiary education. He did that for all his grand-daughters. Parents, he said, if they must choose, would favour sons.


My father’s father gave me poetry, passing it along in the genes (my Dad had them too). 


My mother’s father gave me my Celtic heritage, the love of craggy rocks and rushing rivers, mountains, and Scotch thistles. When I finally visited Scotland, I suddenly understood. (Surely this heritage also enhanced the magic which came through the maternal line.)


My Grandpa (FSH, as he signed his many letters – not only to me but correspondents all over the world) gave me himself. And so much more. Gave me myself. Gave me the world.




Part 1 and Part 2 appear in previous posts.


I'm sharing this with Poets and Storytellers United via Friday Writings #53.






16 comments:

  1. Love that he left you his typewriter. Such a validation of his faith in your ability. So interesting to think how the previous generations left little parts of themselves in us- through nature or nurture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only that, but no-one in the family even questioned it. They could all see where I was headed. Ha ha, it meant I never learned to touch-type, as I was only 9 at the time, so I learnt the bad habits and then when I tried to learn good ones I found them so much slower than my hunt-and-peck that I always gave up and went back to my old ways. (Now that we have digital keyboards and texting with thumbs, I'm laughing.)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful memories. What a difference a caring adult can make in a child's life. I can't remember how or where I got my first typewriter but I took typing in school and it has served me all my life. Texting? I'm all thumbs and not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The touch-typists I know buy additional keyboards to add to their tablets. But of course, on a phone one must use the one in the device. I hate the way auto-correct thinks it knows better than me, and doesn't.

      Yes, this grandfather made a huge difference to me! In so many ways.

      Delete
  3. Well you have much in common with many famous writers who still hunt and peck. I love the image of you as that little girl ... I realized my mouth was 'hanging open' in awe and emotion as I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Helen, it is good to know that what I write can move people. And it's nice to be able to pay tribute to this special man in my life.

      Delete
  4. To have a grandpa like your FSH grandpa. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. An understanding grownup is one of the best blessings a child can have. How wonderful to have had his encouragement in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was very lucky. And he had so much wisdom to offer!

      Delete
  6. I liked that picture of you with your grandfather, and the fact that he left you his typewriter. He must have known that you will become a writer. Or that it is his way of encouraging you to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, Rosemary. I love the thread of intuitive knowing in the way you've written this, and how lovely to have this artistic heritage! A pleasure to read <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. One shouldn't have favorites, but your third grandpa is my favorite grandpa. He sounds like someone I would've loved been friends with, even when I was a child--there is something magical about an old soul that shares nature with a child.

    And you look happy and SOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, obviously my favourite too. I didn't know the others, but even if I had ...

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!