We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

4.5.23

I, Persephone

At Samhain, as the veil thins (30/4/23).



He dwells in the land of the dead,

that hidden space below the surface 

of our everyday lives, that dark 

lying behind our everyday light.


Summer has passed. As autumn

lengthens into transition, a bridge 

between extremes of season,

I retreat from daylight, draw in,


begin dreaming of one who resides

in deep recesses of memory, deep

hidden chambers of the heart.

I forget how to be summer happy.


Where is the lightness of spring?

Flowers fade. My dancing feet

grow slow and still. Yet I’m restless.

More and more his image arises


and the timbre of his voice, calling ...

his movements, the touch of his skin,

the gaze of his eyes meeting mine.

It’s time for me, once again


to dare those depths, return

to that hidden place, that realm

where love also dwells. I was not

coerced, I always go willingly. 



I’m mixing pantheons: Persephone belongs to the Greeks, whereas Samhain is a Celtic festival. It is Samhain here as I write this, the date when, traditionally, the veil between the dead and the living thins. It is also the time of year when, according to the myth, Persephone rejoins her husband Hades in the underworld while our world is plunged into winter.  


This is a response to my own prompt for Poets and Storytellers United, in Friday Writings #75: A Character from Myth or Fable. 


20 comments:

  1. Love the question sitting there right in-between and the close... thinking of stepping willingly into the dark is both scary and brave... this feeling resonates as I write my series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I can imagine it does!

      Delete
    2. And yes, it is indeed one of those powerful in-between spaces – or thresholds.

      Delete
  2. Persephone is my favourite Greek myth.....for the first time she loved him from her heart....it's the only line I remember from the A D Hope poem Cant say I know anything about Samhain Enjoyed your poem...Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an A D Hope poem about Persephone? Shame on me for not knowing! In those quizzes to see what Goddess archetype you are, I always come out as Persephone, and it does make a lot of sense in various ways.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, yes, Rosemary. And you merged so well the situational feelings and mood with what the present instant thought process was moving top . I felt the smooth transition was seamless, "I retreat from daylight, draw in,begin dreaming of one who resides in deep recesses of memory, deep hidden chambers of the heart." (Segway?? eh, teacher?)
    I enjoyed so very much working with your prompt,using my style. And I always like reading the prompter's work, gives an insight . Thank you)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this prompt, Jim, and my poem. You're always so good to play poetry with!

      Yes, I guess that is indeed a segue. :)

      Delete
  4. Magic is afoot in this poem. I thought Persephone was female. Yes, my poem is not from the prompt. I've never been good at corralling my poets mind to do prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Persephone is female; the 'he' is the one she thinks of rejoining. I love your 'magic' comment; thank you!

      Delete
  5. I like the melodic feel of transitioning. When what we held deep in our hearts and minds like a cherished dream becomes evermore real, it seems we are preparing to cross over the bridge and return to that realm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this retelling so much. And I've always suspected that Persephone went because she wanted to, even needed to. Regardless of what Demeter might say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially regardless of that! l recall my mum, in my late teens, saying smugly to her friends in my presence, 'Rosemary tells me everything.' I would smile sweetly and think, 'Little do you know.'

      Delete
  7. i LOVE "I forget how to be summer happy."and her slipping back willingly - I always thought of her unhappily going back. I like this a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I love this! Beautifully penned! 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a very beautiful take on the myth. I have always thought that she does not go back willingly. That it was more like a contract. An interesting legend nevertheless, and you breathe life into your character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Well, it's really me putting myself into her shoes, so there may be some divergence from the original story.

      Delete
  10. "More and more his image arises
    and the timbre of his voice, calling ...
    his movements, the touch of his skin,
    the gaze of his eyes meeting mine."

    Yes, it's clear to see that she always go willingly! He sounds irresistible!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!