We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

21.7.23

Glimmers

‘A glimmer is the exact opposite of a trigger–it is some kind of cue, either internal or external, that brings one back to a sense of joy or safety.’


Gold light radiating from that orb in the sky just before sunset.

Looking into the face of a beloved friend – here now, or pictured.

Immense trees filling the sky; or really, any trees. Truly, all trees.

My best-loved books: just a glimpse of one's cover and I want to hug it.

Memories, of large and little joyous moments, filling my long life.

Everyone I ever loved / all those who loved me (cats and dogs too).

Reconnecting often with poetry, flowing into or from me.

Sunshine; sparkling silver rivers; soaring mountains; sweetness in the mouth;

sudden storms with swift, searing lightning; stillness; the suchness of the this.




Inspired by Rommy’s prompt for Friday Writings #86 at Poets and Storytellers United. I decided to do this as an acrostic. Then I decided to make each line an American Sentence (17 syllables). Then I realised the letter S needed two lines. Note: They wouldn't work as stand-alone American Sentences, however, as each line depends on the mental inclusion of the word 'Glimmers' which it is defining. I'd need to rewrite them. I'm happy to leave them as they are, to make one whole poem together.



30 comments:

  1. Oh yes.. nature (especially sweeping landscapes), books, friends... and a little kindness. All gladden the heart. Acrostic+American Sentence is quite a big deal!!!! They do make a poem together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary, I like your list of glimmers. These are great for perking one up. Personally, I have lingering misgivings of some, a few perhaps, who I feel have mistreated me or dasteredly betrayed my trust and/or love. I.e. my life has had spells of both glimmers and vicious downers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some downers too; I think everybody has. Impossible to live a long life without any. But this prompt was to write about the glimmers, so that's what I did.

      Delete
    2. Jim, I should add that I have lived to be grateful even for those I loved who betrayed me – because the lessons were useful even if painful.

      Delete
  3. The fact that you can stick "long" and "life" together with so many glimmers in this challenging world is in itself a great gorgeous glimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad if it also gives my readers a moment of enjoyment.

      Delete
  4. I think it came together really well, extra s included.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your acrostic poem...Enjoy your long life and give thanks you are so loved....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart sang as I read your poem .... we share much. Which is why my heart sang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we do. Your poem for this prompt lifted my heart too.

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is such a magical poem! I truly love it. I had no idea about the American sentence thing, never heard of that poetic device.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it magical! I meant to put a link to 'American sentence' in my notes; I've done it now. (An invention of Allen Ginsberg.)

      Delete
  8. so many glimmers, so much joy Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list of glimmers. It should make life a bit easier and much more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suchness of the this....the most captivating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for commenting on that phrase! I was a bit concerned about whether it would speak to people.

      Delete
  11. "the suchness of the this" is the heart of your poem. To be able to see with awe and wonder esp as we age and experience much is key.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Rosemary, that anan was me. Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manv thanks, Debi, both for the comment and the clarification.

      Delete
  13. That's a nice happy list of glimmers even I should think of .....a positivity in many things ...nice

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Looking into the face of a beloved friend – here now, or pictured."

    I love that line, and all your glimmers, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!