We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

7.7.23

Writing the Prison, Yet Again

 (re my memoir about conducting poetry workshops in Pentridge in the early eighties)



For months and years

I’ve been writing the prison,

that place of darkness

which haunts me still.

An exorcism? A record?

A witness statement?


There are times I want to 

stamp on the memories,

feel them crunch under my boots

like broken glass – traversing 

yet again the stages of grief,

arriving again at anger.


But that’s temporary.

Let me instead celebrate

in these recollections

those who did not succumb 

to the institutional boot 

on the neck: those


who refused to break,

reassembling their own fragments

over and over again,

spitting them out as poems,

mending their shattered segments

with lines of gold, of light.




Written in response to my own prompt for Poets and Storytellers United's Friday Writings #84: to be inspired by the phrase, 'Broken glass crunching under the boot steps.'

(My soon-to-be-published memoir begins with a long poem – quite different from this one –  called 'Writing the Prison'.)

23 comments:

  1. Oh I like this, Rosemary. I liked all of your prison writings that I have read but this one tells it just like it is. It also reminded me of a friend who taught in prison, he had some good stories to tell, some really sad.
    Thanks for the prompt, that broken glass reminded me of food no longer useful. It is true, happened to me this morning.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim – and sorry about your incident this morning.

      Delete
    2. Oh, now that I've read your poem about it, I see that commiserations are not needed, lol.

      Delete
  2. I suppose a memoir too, becomes a beautiful object that has been mended with light (what a beautiful thought that is)... I think when your three-part series is done, it will shine bright. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now we (book designer and me) are deep in the nitty-gritty of preparing the three volumes for print. Sometimes I feel, as I said to Rommy a little while ago, that my head is trying to occupy too many hats at once! However, we're well on the way.

      Delete
  3. Reassembling fragments … lines of light … in the darkest hours there is healing that can be done and how fortuitous to be part of that process for some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intense. I felt the boot and the tension. I taught to children at a parent run cooperative school, and that was so much easier. Thanks for the Ars Poetica comment. I had to look it up and yes, I have many and have started a file.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memories one wants to crunch...interesting use of the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always interesting to find where a prompt may lead.

      Delete
  6. I love the positive path you journeyed in this poem ... unbreakable. it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a touch of the rebel here who does not cower down by the. Dictums of the reactionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it takes a special kind of person to work in a prison....an especially kind kind of person...thos prisoners were lucky to have you as their teacher....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rall. They were very appreciative. I also gained from the experience.

      Delete
  9. i guess this is a celebration of sorts, the prison book, because it is not easy working with prisoners and in a prison setting.
    Congratulations on your soon-to-be-published memoir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess it is. And no it wasn’t easy, though in some ways a joy.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  10. I love this specially the last lines ..
    very much indeed a tribute to us poets too

    ReplyDelete
  11. You bring out the strength people can have as opposed to the broken glass.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!